Gifts for supervisors

H

Hi all,

Haven't been here for a while - it is nice to be back :)

I was wondering what you'd suggest as gifts for supervisors. My friends and I are in a bit of a pickle, as we are encountering differing scenarios, and wondering what is and is not appropriate:

1. What would you buy a supervisor as a christmas gift?
2. What would you buy a supervisor that is going on a study leave?
3. What would you buy a supervisor that is going on maternity leave?
4. What would you buy a supervisor when you've passed your viva?
5. What would you buy a supervisor as a thank you present after a difficult paper is written or a study is completed?

Thanks for your help! :)

Chococake

Hi Chococake,

Obviously it all depends on the kind of relationship that you have with your supervisor/s. However, taking for granted that you are in very good terms with them I would say:

1) A box of chocolate or a bottle of wine
2) nothing
3)nothing. It is more appropriate to buy a present for the little one when he/she arrives
4) I feel that you should be the one that receives the present after the viva, but if your supervisor was very helpful I understand that you might want to give her/him a present. It might be a plant, a bottle of wine, a collection of CDs, a book, a subscription to a magazine.
5)  Any of the items suggested in point 4.

I wish I had such supervisor! :$

D

Quote From DrCorinne:

1) A box of chocolate or a bottle of wine
2) nothing
I wish I had such supervisor! :$

1) Very often seems to be the norm

However, I'm keeping my hand firmly in my pocket:p

D

I read your post wrong. I was talking in relation to the viva. I didn't think people got their supervisor anything for Christmas.

S

My answers would be:

1. Nothing
2. Nothing
3. Impossible (male supervisor in his 60s)
4. Quite a nice bottle of Whisky
5. Nothing

Mainly because it's their job. Unless they've done something beyond the call of duty so to speak then they don't need presents, they have pay. After the viva, it's basically a leaving thank you.

my sup always gets me an xmas present, and I always just look embarrassed and say thanks lol. I've never got her anything!

I think she'd like a book or tickets to see some arty rubbish which would be dull IMO, but she'd find it really interesting haha! Or wine.

D

Sneaks, I think that's lovely of your supervisor - shows she thinks of you. Mine doesn't even wish me a 'Merry Christmas'!

C

1. Nothing
2. Nothing
3. Nothing
4. Probably this.......http://www.phdcomics.com/store/mojostore.php?_=view&ProductID=12257
5. Nothing

I usually bring back a small present if I've managed a holiday away somewhere during the summer. Usually something to do with where I've been food or drink wise......as a kinda thanks for letting me skive off thing...

My supervisor doesn't even send Christmas cards to any of us (including his RAs and RFs), and usually the paper is something he's asked me to do (with a time limit attached), that he will merely review, in order to get more points for him and more points on the REF for the school.

L

Interesting replies. Just the other day I was wondering whether I should even say ''Merry Christmas'' to mine, since I have it on good authority that she's an atheist; I'm a bit worried the term itself might bother her. (even though it doesn't bother me, and I'm more or less the same. I think I might be obsessing. :$
I think I'll risk it! (sprout)

1. nothing
2. nothing
3. hypothetically, maybe something for the baby, as Dr. Corinne suggested.
4. something tailored to their tastes, which hopefully I will better understand know by then.
5. nothing