good or bad time to take time out for a family?

F

Hi all,

I'm a recent graduate with a good degree in Environmental Conservation (1st class plus 3 awards). I'm looking for a PhD in the following areas: forest regeneration / rehabilitation and sustainable forestry / agriculture particularly in tropical regions.

I've not had a lot of success yet and advice from two supervisors I've approached is to get an MRes as otherwise I will not be a good candidate to secure funding. I could really only do an MRes if I was awarded a scholarship but they have also both told me I am a good candidate for this.

My husband and I are also thinking about when to have a family. If I were to have a family now would I still be a good candidate for a scholarship for an MRes in 3-4 years? Or even a studentship? Does anyone have any experience of this sort of thing? I can't help feeling that my degree will lose value year on year if I am not using it (I would be using it for environmental education and possibly environmental writing but probably not research).

Any thoughts or advice? Thanks.

I

I had to change all my plans when I got pregnant as an undergrad. I did end up with a good degree but put the Master's etc. 'on hold'. In the end though, as you are fearing, I had to practically retrain and it really set me back. For me it was tough but I was determined and in for the long-haul. I don't regret my daughter, naturally, but it completely changed me and the journey I had previously mapped out for myself. If your husband is supportive then it's likely to be easier, but not easy - think about what your priority is now, because once you've got a kid, THEIR needs always come first.