Had a postdoc interview today

Oh dear! How am I going to wait for the result? Has anyone else attended an interview for a postdoc fellowship recently? I can't help wondering how many they interviewed and whether I should raise my hope or not.. Hmm I don't know what my question is really. Just wanted to talk about postdoc interviews. Ann?

J

No experience to share I'm afraid, but fingers crossed for you

A

Hi 404

Did they say when they would let you know? Not nice having to wait to hear. Fingers crossed for you!!

Best wishes

R

To get an interview for a post-doc in this competitive job market means you've made it through a selection process that has seen you shortlisted for consideration. So you've got that on your side at least.

A

Hey 404, congrats on getting an interview and good luck! I'm on the post-doc trail too. I got in contact last week with the guy I want to work with - he really is the only person doing stuff in my area and using the same theories - and got a 'hmm, maybe, get in touch again in September'. This wasnt even asking for money, it was a 'if I get funding can I come and work with you'. Now i am in limbo, I guess I should start on some plan Bs, but i am really hoping this guy will say yes eventually.
So yes, I'd say you've done well to get an interview!

Thank you ever so much for your replies and positive comments.

Ann, they said they would let me know next week but I hope it's "early" next week

aliby, isn't there anyone else who is doing research at least a bit similar to yours? How about the broader subject? I hope you can find something relevant soon to apply for.

P

I have my fingers crossed very tightly for you, 404. Good luck!

A

oh, that's a pain, having to wait over the weekend

There are some people working on the same topic but using a different approach, and some using the same theories but applied to different topics. so yes I have some options for plan B. I just really want to work with this guy - I just dont want to have to wait three months to find out if I can!

still no news
I keep checking my phone, refreshing my emails and visiting their website as if it would help. How silly of me, but I can't do any work because of this psychology of waiting.

R

Hi 404,

well done regarding getting the interview and perhaps you should reward yourself just for that; buy yourself a present, go for dinner, a day away etc. This may make the waiting a bit easier

I've just received a letter with the words "we regret that...". I am so upset, especially after a very good interview. Nevermind...

(by the way, thanks for the nice words rick. I think it was a good experience to be interviewed by a panel of people that strong.)

S

so sorry to hear that, 404.
hope you find your perfect post-doc position soon!

T

Sorry to hear that 404, I guess its just like applying for PhDs all over again!

Good luck with the postdoc search!!

Thank you very much. I love this forum

R

Hi 404

sorry the hear that regarding your interview. Must be upsetting.
However like you indicate yourself already try and see it in a positive way, it is a good experience and you wil get more chances, and then you would know better how things work. This again will make that you have more chance of success and will do well