have been trying for one year no resolve

S

hi all i am an indian student i did my masters in bioinformatics an year ago since then i had been applying every where abroad but to no resolve mean while i got a project assistant job somewhere but could not do anything worthwhile or publish able there and so here i am right now job less without phd even after one year of continuous trying and on the brink of quitting , due to a complete year gap i am unable to get a project assistant etc post anywhere else .kindly advise what to do

P

Some stuff:

1. If you do not use punctuation marks in 6 lines of writing, it is near impossible to make sense of what you say. Please use fullstops?

2. A year off between masters and PhD is what many students take. They project assist somewhere, do something completely unrelated to their academic life, to build the bank balance, or simply take a year to contact potential supervisors and prepare an application. I take it you have done the first one of these above...which is fine. You are not by any means expected to have publications before applying for a phd, so that's not a concern.

3. What are you on the brink of quitting? Have you joined a PhD yet? A gap yr (which was spent on PA work?) is in no way going to prevent you from getting further work.

4. Finally, your message remains unclear on whether you are looking for a PhD for you say this on the one hand:

"but could not do anything worthwhile or publish able there and so here i am right now job less without phd even after one year of continuous trying"
and then again this:
"due to a complete year gap i am unable to get a project assistant etc post anywhere"

Tell us more (clearly)?

C

If you want to do a PhD that badly, why would you want to quit looking after just one year? If you have a job thats relevant to what you want to do then I would stick with it while you apply this year. The milkround should be starting up again soon! Take a good look at your applications and try and pinpoint where your weaknesses are. Have you asked those supervisors who turned you down for feedback? Its also worth bearing in mind a lot of good candidates get turned down and the global recession will be making supervisors extra picky as more people apply. I've had some bad luck this year but I'm not thinking about quitting, I'm thinking about what I can do to improve my chances and maybe this year I'll be lucky. If a PhD is what you want to do, quitting easily is not the way to go about it. Chin up!(up)

S

thanks phdbug for correcting me about punctuation marks but i believe forums are one place where u can afford to be casual.

by the way thanks for replying. Actually the project assistant work that i took up required me to make a database
which i was unable to deliver ,blame it on me or on inadequate guidance . As a result of that i could not continue any further
and was asked to leave ; so as far as recommendation is concerned i don't believe that project supervisor is going to give and that is the reason
why i was counting that one year as a gap because i have nothing substantial to show.

with that being said it would be very kind of you if you can guide me as to how to go about further .
Also it would be helpful if u can give me links to any other site bcoz very few international studentships
are advertised on this site most of project vacancies pertain to european union students only

thanks ;-)