Hello Everybody a question about a supervisor

HI there, I have just recently been offered a PhD place at a brilliant university. I have just one concern though, during discussion with my supervisor, it came about that I would be her first student that she has supervised. Of course all supervisors need to have a first student, but is this something to be overly worried about, or is it just likely that I will be in for a rough ride!

Cheers
27pence

C

I am my primary supervisors first PhD student, he now has three of us, and is doing a great job. My second supervisor is very experienced - I think some universities team up a less experienced supervisor with another?

C

My supervisor is very conscientious and interested in my project, I can't fault that...

A

i would be concerned. I am in the same position and I regret it. my project has gone over my deadline. the supervisor wants it to be an absolute work of perfection forgetting that it is only really a piece of research. Now that an experienced person has joined my team, I can see this.

H

On the other hand, because you'd be their first student, they might be really really supportive and helpful, because it'll look bad for them if they mess it up.

If everything else is fine, I wouldn't let that put you off. Can you make sure you have a secondary supervisor who is a bit mroe experienced at supervision?

S

You absolutely have to guarantee a more experienced co- or second supervisor, and I would strongy suggest that you push for meetings with both of them not just one at a time.
This is a major issue (although any supervisor can be rubbish regardless of experience) and research councils insist that anyone with an inexperienced sup has to have a very experienced co-. Its great that the supervisor is enthusiastic, but the enthusiasm has to be directed. A PhD is not just about researching, its a very specific piece of work that has to fulfil a number of criteria. Can I ask what field you're in??

T

My supervisor has many years experience but my advisor (secondary supervisor) is new and I am her first PhD student. Has your supervisor been an advisor before? I presumed that this was how most universities would function ie starting off with advising and then moving onto supervising after a little experience. It's working out well for me.

B

I'm doing a collaborative project over two institutions and I have two first-time supervisors (one from each place) backed up by two experienced supervisors. I've had no problem with it at all. They've been extremely enthusiastic and supportive. In fact, I wrote another positive post about them a minute ago.

I think it's necessary for them to be supported by somebody who's been through the bureaucratic processes involved in a PhD before, but my second supervisors (...in fact, I don't even really think of them like that) are also involved in my project at a subject level and I've benefitted from having their specific input alongside that of the others.

Hi there - the area that the PhD is in is Mass Spectrometry Hypenated Techniques for metabolome analysis.

The supervisor was honest when I asked him about how many people he had supervised, and he said that he had not supervised anyone before but had been a co-supervisor?, on a number of sucessful projects before. I am not entirely sure about a secondary supervisor, (its the Uni of Sheffield by the way).

Other than that it is the best offer I have had, and I had a good rapport with him, and the place had a good vibe about it, thats the only downside that I am his first, but he would only have me and another student, so I will have great access to him, and the facilities are brilliant.

I did have an offer from another place but the guy who was a professor had nine students under him currently and in all honesty was a bit of a tosser.

Any other Advice?

E

Hi 27pence
I'm in the same situation. In fact i think I'm in exactly the same situation as i believe I'm the other student who your supervisor is taking on. My project is the Biofuel from microalgae project. I too got a good vibe from him. And I've been told his previous posting in manchester was within a very good group. As for being the only supervisor I'm told that it's usually an advantage rather than disadvantage as it means you get the benefit of more time from him and everyone else in the department keeps and eye on you as they know he's new the supervising so it does work out the best of both worlds

Hi there elmer

I believe I am indeed the other student, as he explained that the other student would be involved in the Biofuel from Algae project. (CPE department? super -R.V?)

Bit of an odd way to meet, on an internet forum!

Jonathon

L

Id go for it 27pence, he knows the process having been through it as a second supervisor. You prolly will have a second supervisor, I send my work to both anyway. Go for it.
x

J

You should find you have a second supervisor too, so they will probably be experienced and help your first super, and if they have been second supervisor on a number of other occasions, there shouldn't really be a problem as they know what it is all about! The dept as a whole will know this anyway and will probably be there to help out if need be. Go for it, its better to have someone you can get on with, and with nine other students, you will be one amongst many.

M

Message Removed.