Help! Heavily pregnant, procrastinating and out of time!

T

My PhD minor corrections are due on the 20th, consisting of an updated chapter and an entire new mini-chapter (probably about 10,000 words total). At the moment I have a few paragraphs and a lot but not enough reading under my belt. Problem is I also have a huge baby under my belt in my tummy which is making me very sleepy, uncomfortable sitting at desks and making it very hard to concentrate. I have applied for an extension until the end of the month, but even this is looking unlikely now. All of this is causing much unwanted stress for me and baby, due at end of february. I could extend the deadline again by a couple of weeks to mid-feb I suppose but that would mean prolonging the stress and risking early baby and attendant complications. Advice? Encouragement? Please anyone?!

F

I'm sure that you can do it (up)

Perhaps you could make a list of things that you need to do and just try to do a little at a time. This way you wont spend too long sitting each time. Work in short bursts and try to keep them productive, even if it is only half an hour at a time.

T

Thank you Fm, that is good advice :-) I've been at a desk in the library for a few hours and produced very little. More concentrated goals in shorter time spans might work. Problem is I'm so ready for a sleep now, far from home and already had my one cup of coffee today. I'll give a try now, bit you think it's humanly doable in just over two weeks?

D

My advice would be to get this done before the baby arrives. In my experience small tasks worked well with my 'baby brain'. Set realistic smaller goals and the acheivement should spur you on. I found that once the baby arrived I was a zombie through sleep deprivation for 12 weeks until they started sleeping through the night. I took three to four months out of studying due to this. It is then harder to come back to the project after a few months away from it. I have to work evenings now as I am looking after babies during the day.

So my advice is to 1. speak to your supervisor regarding your progress and possibility of an extension in your circumstances. 2. See your dr/midwife to check on your iron levels if you are feeling tired and make sure you are eating/drinking well. 3. Get motivated to do as much as you can before the baby arrives.

Realistically, you are so close to finishing your PhD so please don't give this up!

A

I agree with Dunni and Fm, you're tantalisingly close. To get through your viva with minor, and it sounds like, clearly directed corrections is fantastic. When you find the motivation waning, just keep reminding yourself how great it will be come early Feb to have it done and to be able to look forward to your baby without PhD corrections hanging over you. Small workable goals written down so you can keep ticking them off would be my advice.

You can do it :-)

B

Could you work at home? It sounds as though travelling to a library is adding to your time/energy commitments, and isn't helping you produce work.

I did all my part-time (6-year) PhD at home. I didn't have pregnancy to deal with, but was pretty brain dead throughout due to progressive neurological disease. So I would work in small chunks, an hour at a time, and use to-do lists full of achievable mini goals to get things done.

You're so close. Good luck!

T

There's no way I would want you to risk your health but you are so close! And it is so much harder to do once the baby arrives. I really wish I had done more while pregnant. Set yourself goals for each day and I am sure you will get there. Good luck!

C

All of us who have had a baby know how tiring pregnancy can be but then how even more tiring it is when the baby comes. However we also all know that the most important thing is your's and your babies health. My advice would be get the extension and try to keep plodding on but don't see it as a black and white situation. If you get it all done before the baby comes fantastic - if not you will get it done in due course. Try not to stress about it and as already suggested just do small chunks. You have done so well to get minor corrections many of us I am sure are full of admiration at this achievement- good luck you will get there in the end.

T

Thank you so much for your encouraging and helpful replies. I spent the afternoon in the library working in half hour spurts and it worked much better. I'm not satisfied with what I wrote (but, hey, when are we ever?) but felt so much better after making a start. Then had a sleepless night with all manner of weird nightmares - yesterday a friend was in town and the whole day was out for studying. Today is busy too (pregnancy related activities!) but will try to do at least 2 half hour sessions. Better than nothing.
Then into it full time on Monday (although pregnancy check-up in morning). And last uni teaching class and attendant grading and marking on Wednesday. Gah!
I think the suggestion of working at home is good. I usually just procrastinate on the internet and housework but I'm sure I can discipline myself for 30 minute intervals.
It's great to hear from those of you who've got kids and been through this. All your comments have made me determined to finish before the baby comes. Thank you!