HELP! What goes in a final chapter? (overall discussion/conclusions)

C

======= Date Modified 09 Sep 2012 19:00:58 =======
Hi all

Mine's a health/social science PhD, where i've done interviews, followed by a quant survey. So my chapters are: intro, lit review, methodology, qual methods, qual findings, qual discussion, quant methods, quant results, quant discussion, and now the final chapter, which I am currently rewriting.

I've currently got a diagram/framework thing to bring all my results together. In terms of prose, I'm currently writing a short paragraph to summarise each chapter to say what I did, what the limitations were, what was novel, and how it linked to the next stage. Trouble is, it's getting LONG. And I feel like I'm repeating myself. It's 2000 words already and I've only summarised 5 out of 9 chapter.

Any tips on what should go in it?

I'm DAYS from submitting. HEEEEELLLLPPPPPP (down)

D

I wouldn't summarise each chapter personally, my final chapter is going to be a wrapping up chapter of conclusions.

R

Clementine, I'm the same - I have about 2000 words which just feels like I'm repeating what I've already said.... I feel like I need a big burst of creativity to write something really inspiring but I'm so exhausted and fed up I think this chapter will never get there :(

If it helps I have headings under each of my initial objectives and how I've met them - across various chapters, so trying to draw it all together. Then Contributions of the research, Limitations, Further Research and Final Conclusions. Unfortunately at the moment its just that - headings!

Keep going!!

F

My internal examiner suggested I state each of my research questions and provide an overall discussion of how I answered these. I had summarised each Chapter, but the internal did not like it this way. I have to say it reads much better now and helps highlight the main findings of the research. I then have an overall discussion of the strengths and limitations of the entire project rather than individual chapters.

But again, this is one of those things that a lot of people may do differently.

D

Quote From frazzled:

My internal examiner suggested I state each of my research questions and provide an overall discussion of how I answered these. I have to say it reads much better now and helps highlight the main findings of the research. I then have an overall discussion of the strengths and limitations of the entire project rather than individual chapters.

But again, this is one of those things that a lot of people may do differently.

I did it as above and I basically signposted everything.

C

======= Date Modified 11 Sep 2012 18:40:45 =======
Beaauuuuutiful. Thanks so much guys! <3 I've been working on it all day and your suggestions are all really helpful.

RibenaGirl, I'm ready to throw my laptop out of the windoe - i.e I'm also very fed up with it!
I think it's pretty common for the last chapter to be a struggle...it's the 'I've run out of steam and just want this over with' chapter :P

R

Quote From Clementine:

======= Date Modified 11 Sep 2012 18:40:45 =======
Beaauuuuutiful. Thanks so much guys! <3 I've been working on it all day and your suggestions are all really helpful.

RibenaGirl, I'm ready to throw my laptop out of the windoe - i.e I'm also very fed up with it!
I think it's pretty common for the last chapter to be a struggle...it's the 'I've run out of steam and just want this over with' chapter :P

I've been feeling like that for about a year....!! almost there!