help with a little German phrase...please....(German speakers)

C

I am currently adding the non-English lit to my introduction and I am unsure about one word for the German literature. Am I using "haltung" correctly?

"Die Haltung exotischer Wildtiere im 18. und 19. Jahrhundert"

Is "Haltung" better here as the English "presence" or "place" - the distinction between the two is small but subtle...any help...

"The place of exotic wild-animals in the eighteenth and nineteenth century"

Hmm I know 'kaninchen' is a rabbit?

Not much help - sorry.

ich habe ein kaninchen, don't think that's the right spelling either. (tree) tannenbaum anyone?

C

Danke! ;)

M

Quote From chrisrolinski:

I am currently adding the non-English lit to my introduction and I am unsure about one word for the German literature. Am I using "haltung" correctly?

"Die Haltung exotischer Wildtiere im 18. und 19. Jahrhundert"

Is "Haltung" better here as the English "presence" or "place" - the distinction between the two is small but subtle...any help...

"The place of exotic wild-animals in the eighteenth and nineteenth century"

'Haltung exotischer Wildtiere' means 'keeping of exotic wild animals', rather than presence or place. What are you aiming to say? 'The place of exotic wild animals' as in their importance, or more in a more practical sense (e.g. keeping them)? (I hope that makes sense!)

Q

======= Date Modified 17 Jun 2010 13:26:11 =======
moonblue is right saying that Haltung refers to the keeping of animals (me being native speaker)

C

Ah, that makes sense now. Thank you. I have had to read some German sec lit on exotic animal collections - and I found that most of it was published after a research project called "Die Haltung exotischer Wildtiere im 18. und 19. Jahrhundert" - I see I was being quite literal in my translation (my German is not that good) but "haltung" as "keeping" makes a lot more sense!

:)