Here's why your supervisor is terrible:

T

Some need training... Others need a heart...

P

This supervisor sounds like he has many faults but so does this student.

Her initial chat with him was so appallingly bad that she needs to accept a fair degree of personal responsibility for pressing ahead and taking this PhD in the first place.

She is taking almost no blame for this and in doing so appears to have missed a valuable lesson. I would like to know why she persisted in taking a PhD with him when she knew what he was like.

It would also be interesting to know why she "craves encouragement". That seems overly needy to me and needy people are not well disposed to doing well as independent researchers.

I can see why she is upset but her attitude in that article comes across as a little "entitled", lacking a bit in self awareness and lacking any serious attempt at critiquing her own decisions.

Maybe I am being a bit harsh though.

My advice to anyone undertaking a PhD is to ask better questions of your supervisor during the interview. Ask about how they like to work, their expectations of you, expected working hours and day, expected publication rates etc. If you can see a problem at this stage then walk away and go elsewhere.