hey what do i do next

V

Hey! what do i do next
hi
i have finished my masters and have been literally jobless for more than a year
i was thinking of doing a PHD or even a MRes
but forums like these paint a very bitter picture of these folks
with entries like

"The drain on your social life, the intensity of the path, the chronic uncertainty and poor rewards outweigh the passion I had for my subject. If I had taken a more vocational route, I could have done research as a sideline, while still having job security, good pay etc.

I admit I got sucked in by the messages of "once you get your PhD, everything will be okay", but with everything else that has happened since, I wish I had made other choices since my BSc. I don't think I am the only one."

i am scared.
so anybody willing to show me light???

O

It's certainly tough but you need to consider the fact that most students only register on this forum to moan about the difficult PhD and PhD life, so the picture may not truly reflect reality.

PhDs are do-able if you have the persistence and determination to complete it. In this case it is also unlikely that you will fail your Viva as 99% of students who submit a dissertation get a PhD. Unfortunately about 60% or more never get to that stage as they quit in their first, second or third year.

S

i agree with o.stoll (welcome back - how was the cycling?)
however, if your prime motivation to do a PhD is to avoid being unemployed, i would think about it very carefully. that might not be enough motivation to keep you going through the difficult parts.

V

hi thanks for your inputs,
but let me clarify myself -
its not like i am unsure of being able to complete my phd or that i aim only for the financial benefits after it.

i love the subject i study and i definitely believe that once started i would finish my phd (hopefully with minimum regrets )
what i wanted to know was, is it true that, after the effort you put in for your phd the benefits dont really add up to it.

i mean , (by being real) if i get to do phd, my father has to take a loan of a very big amount of money. so will my phd be enough to atleast repay back his loan ??
is there a certain type of assurance i can get that, yeah! the investment on such a high level of academics does not go in vain.

coz after that i aint much concerned about what i get as long as i get to stay close to the subject i like.

S

hmmm well, no, i would say if you are finding it hard to find a job now, it won't be easier when you have a PhD. for some jobs even harder. the exception, of course, are jobs in academia which are hard to get, often with low wages, and little job security. not the ideal situation to pay back high loans.

of course it depends a bit on what kind of subject you are thinking of and on what kind of jobs you are interested in.

C

I've been in a full time job for the last four years, and I can think of nothing better than going back into a uni environment, and researching my subject! From what I've read, I think your first reason for wanting to do a PhD should be the love of the subject...if you've got that, then surely you're moving in the right direction??

V

thank you Shani and Charlie
i have finished my Masters in Biosciences and i admit when i was studying, i was very interested in the subject (and i can even add, was in love with the subject).
around the time i was finishing my MSc i am more or less sure that i will be pursuing a phd, and hopefully abroad( UK or US).

But after 1 complete year of futile attempts at applying to universities and a lack of touch with the studies, the fervour i had for bio simmered down. I console myself by saying that once i am in a lab again the flames will be fanned up again, but as time flows, i get more and more doubtful of myself and my interest. i hope this information clears up the background a little and gives u a clearer perspective of the situation i am in.

V

i am planning to do a Mres in Cardiff.so what wud u advise me to do. continue ahead with the MRes and next apply for a phd , or go for a job after the MRes. (does it really improve ones chances at employment??)

Shani, actually i am still naive about the type of jobs available to a student at my level of qualification, so if you can shed some light there too, it will be of big help.

and charlie, i feel once you are in a full time job there is a cushion when you do want to , (and get to) come back to the lab. though i must admit (seeing people all around me) it isn't an easy decision, requires determination more than anything else.

C

I think it's probably one of the hardest decisions ever. I have applied to do my PhD and if I do get in, will I leave my f/t employment (in which I'm doing quite well)? but I have to ask myself on a day to day basis, am I happy? No. Therefore, don't do a PhD with the thought of getting a well paid job at the end of it, but do your PhD if you think you may go into f/t employment, live with the question 'what if'...at the end of the day, there are always going to be choices. Sometimes we make the right one, sometimes we don't. But every choice opens new doors and brings you closer to the right choice. Either way you can continue your studies at a later stage (like me) or find that you're very happy in f/t employment.