Hotdesking as a PhD student?

M

Does anyone have experience of this? Positive or negative?

A department I've interviewed as houses all of it'd PhD students on a hotdesking basis and I was wondering how well this works for people? To some extent I think I'd prefer to have a definite space of my own but then again I've never really worked in this kind of environment before.

Any thoughts?

T

I don't like it, it's really annoying. You will probably find in reality most people try to keep to the same PCs though, a bit like in school when everyone sticks to the same desks.

B

As long as you can reliably find a free workstation you should be ok. I wouldn't like to be hotdesking during the write up stage, when you really need somewhere to 'call home', spread out your notes and papers, and not have to worry about packing it all up at the end of the day.

A university should at least provide their PhD students with a desk and a chair in a workspace of sorts (e.g. cubicle). If not, maybe they shouldn't take on more students than they can adequately provide for.

S

Quote From Magdatrix:
Does anyone have experience of this? Positive or negative?

A department I've interviewed as houses all of it'd PhD students on a hotdesking basis and I was wondering how well this works for people? To some extent I think I'd prefer to have a definite space of my own but then again I've never really worked in this kind of environment before.

Any thoughts?

It's bad - it's harder to meet and talk to people, you have no personal space to leave things at - much worse than having your own desk (unless your fixed desk was next to people you don't like of course!).

It actually sounds like the Uni. is trying to encourage you to work off-campus so it can lower it's resource provision to the students.

I know it's done in the Engineering department of a certain NE University (they nickname the part of the building used the PhD call centre - I hope not to reflect the jobs the excess PhD graduates will end up doing). It looks uncomfortable.

Ian

P

Where I'm at we have hot desking but at the moment there isn't too much demand for the computers so most people stick to the same one. However we a moving to a new building shortly, and there will be a lot more students all based in the same place, and the demand for computers will be much higher so I will also experience real hot desking. I'm not really looking forward to it but I can't complain overly since I am lab based so don't spend too much time using the computer. I am thinking of bringing my laptop in though on days that I know are going to be slower that way I will have definate access to a computer but not necessarily somewhere to put it.

S

hi Magdatrix
I remember one department of my old uni had this hotdesking thing. I used a workstation there and saw the polite notice to keep the desk tidy and clear of personal items as it would be a shared desk; I found that it was good and helpful for others to use.

And if it were not a permanent place, there could be a somewhat greater tendency to get the work done there and then. Of course you'd have to make serious considerations where to work when you need the workstation for longer periods--like when you are writing up etc.

As for me, I don't like having to move my things, pack up and go, pack again etc. I am thankful that I had my own desk during my phd.

love satchi

M

Hotdesking doesn't work for everyone. While I lived in the city where I did my PhD, there was a hotdesking policy in my department, for PhD students. This is particularly common in the humanities, I think.

I found it a bit frustrating, not having my own space to work. Changing desks all the time disorganised me. In the end, I had no option but work from home. I can concentrate better when I know I have my own space, as I mentally assign this space with work.

F

Well...my experience is way more positive. Ok so my research is interdisciplinary, so I got a hot desk with 1 other assigned candidate in one department, and in the other department there are 3 rooms set aside for candidates, on average about 9 work stations each, two rooms with PCs, one room for laptops (and lockers in the room as well).

I use the laptop room myself (cuz thats how I roll), usually about 2-4 other candidates in there at any given time, the other rooms are mostly empty, and I surrendered my hot desk to the other candidate...as her laptop is too heavy, and I dont use workstations.

So for me, I have access to more work stations than I can use, at all times. I think the opposite, I think it forces you to be social, to get up, stretch your legs and drop in on other candidates, instead of hide away in your office like a hermit....or like the supervisors LOL