How and when do you reward yourself for getting work done?

H

When I finished a chapter, I will do no PhD work for 2 days and go walking in the woods. What do you do?

C

I reward myself with sleep, and then self-punishment and deprecation because nothing is ever good enough

H

Hi Chris,
Sleep is good. Sometimes I do a sleep marathon: 14hours of zzzzzs. Not done that for about 6months. Will do one when this current chapter is done.
What about something unhealthy like double cream in coffee and clotted cream on scones? Well unhealthy and rebellious!

J

I love scones. Especially Asda's premium range ones. I thought only me and Miss Marple still ate scones

P

Scones are very much alive and well in my world as well, especially with clotted cream. I'm having a bit of a family do on saturday and I've just decided to serve scones with jam and cream. I'll look out for the Asda ones - no time to make my own.

H

I go home and pray I won't have to repeat it...

J

Asda's are great: but get the posh ones (I think they're called "The Best"). They come in strawberry or sultana. The bog-standard ones are not up to much.

In a sad attempt to be healthy I have them with yoghurt, and they're still good.

C

beer definitly beer!
Followed by red wine.

then agin that how I reward myself for making it to Friday!

J

I'm with you catalinbond!

M

I go to a French deli for French macaroons...which are really hard to find in the UK. Otherwise, M&S deserts...yum!

H

MMmm..... food as reward seems a common theme. What about a vigorous work out in the gym, de-stressing and dessimating all the stress bugs and empty calories? The natural endorphines is simply mind blowing.

J

Hairui, I'm trying to train myself out of the idea of "food as reward", but it seems to be deeply ingrained in me.

Whether that's human nature or bad habit, I don't know. But it's annoying!

H

In the long run, food as treats is really a bad idea both psychologically and physically. This applies to both man and woman. I'm off to buy a 3 in 1 (printer,scanner and photocopier), and mushroom foraging as a treat for finishing the 5th Chapter.
And when Chps 6& 7 are done... well, I'm thinking about it.
Good luck with kicking the bad habit of comfort eating.

C

I have soy ice cream as a reward. yum

(vegan)

J

I love things like dates and figs, which are fruit and technically healthy, but still calorific if you eat loads.