How can I fix my sleep schedule?

L

======= Date Modified 01 50 2009 04:50:37 =======
I found that I worked better when I did my writing up of my thesis late at night, and sleeping in until midday. Since submitting my thesis I can't get my sleeping scheldule back onto a normal routine, ie waking up at around 7am and going to bed around 11pm. If anything my sleeping has gotten worse, I cant get to sleep until 3/4 in the morning, its approaching 5am now and i'm still awake. I know I won't wake up until about 2pm and I wake up feeling like I've wasted a whole day.

Any tips/suggestions on how I can get back to a normal sleeping schedule, one were I am awake at 8am? :-(

K

Hmmm.. I would try what I do for jetlag - set your alarm for a normal time (8am) regardless of what time you go to bed, and then you'll have one day of feeling really tired and grumpy on a few hours sleep, but you'll be so tired by the end of that day that you'll go to bed by 10/11pm easily. It should get better from the next day onwards! Good luck - sunlight is also supposed to help, so you could also try keeping your curtains open to wake you up earlier (if you don't live in a big, noisy, light city!)

L

Thanks K! I have tried that but I always end up pulling myself back into bed. I will do it tomorrow :-)

T

I have/had the same problem. Often I'd go to bed at a reasonable hour only to be laying wide awake in bed an hour or two later, and not dropping off till 3-4 am.

I have found a way to get back on track though, but it's not everyone’s cup of tea... Really hard exercise.

I was having problems sleeping until i started cycling to work (my new job! :)). It's an Eminem style, 8 mile ride, I don't have a single problem sleeping when I've cycled to work and back. Unfortunately, I've had to shelve the cycle for the time being due to the terrifying-ness of country lanes in the pitch black and, alas, I'm back to bad sleep. Just joined a sports club though, so will be trying to work that in around my busy schedule!

L

Congratulations on your new job Ace :-) I'm am still in the process of looking but I'm very determined to get one! I managed to get about 4 hours sleep, I got up at a reasonable hour and now I'm a bit tired and grumpy. I look forward to getting to sleep at an normal hour tonight :-) (fingers crossed)

Lilbopeep I sympathise - I too have an inconvenient sleep schedule - I would most happily sleep from 3am til about 11am and have allowed myself to do so for the last few months - I'm 4 months into my pHD and so have been mostly reading and working alone til this point. Now, I actually have to interact with normal diurnal beings, lab tecnhicians, other pHDers etc. Today was the 1st day of my new schedule - I managed to drag myself out of bed by 8.45am and although I got to my various meetings, the rest of the day was a complete write off - I managed to read a total of three papers and remember very little from them. I think it's time to pack up and go home. I'm hoping a normal schedule will become more normal for me with time :$
Anyway, just to say you're not alone!
EV

D

Best to build up to it. For example, if you normally can't sleep until 3.30am, go to bed at 3.15 am then after a day or two 3.00am and then 2.45am until you manage to be able to go to bed and sleep at a reasonable hour. It's really about retraining your brain and body to adjust to a time that suits you. Work yourself into good sleeping habits over a period of time, rather than trying a quick fix.

L

======= Date Modified 03 Dec 2009 18:38:11 =======
Update: I managed to get to sleep not long after midnight, and woke up just before nine this morning. I then realised I didnt need to get up for anything so I decided to have a 'bit' of a lie in, and have undone all my hard work by getting out of bed after lunchtime, I will have to go through another day of tiredness tomorrow now :-s

K

Lilbo I feel your pain. 14 months into the PhD and I still haven't established normal sleeping patterns. I'll be watching this thread with interest, good luck!

L

Thanks keep calm. I'm off to bed now and am determined to get up early tomorrow, even if I dont get to sleep! wish me luck!8-)

L

still awake :-(

I will be tired and grumpy tomorrow :-s:-s:-(

L

7am and still awake, I'm not going to get any sleep now so I'm hoping this lack of nights sleep will help me get to sleep early tonight. I'm not tired now but I know I will be later :$

K

Oh no, 7 am? You must be knackered today.I was in bed by 2 but I don't think I got to sleep until about 3.30 which meant another stupidly late start for me. It's so frustrating isn't it?

Poor Lilbopeep - Iknow that feeling - having tried many times to fix my schedule :$

Today I really wanted to get an early start (9am is early for me!) but Ididn't get to sleep until about 4am so it was 11 before I got going. And I can't work past 5pm today as I promised my family I would go home and stay with them tonight and spend the day with them tomorrow as I have been neglecting them alot lately. Poor boyfriend gets to stay home and mind the dog :-( Hopefully I'll get to see him at some point on Sunday but also have lots of catch-up work planned :-s

L

Another few hours it will be bedtime. I'm not feeling hungry but I've been eating all day. I will be rolling out of bed tomorrow :$ I kept busy today so I wouldn't fall asleep, I know it's not a healthy thing to do, but I want to get my body clock sorted. If I can last another 5 hours it'll be fine :-)

I agree- It is soo annoying!