How did you choose where to do your PhD?

N

Hi Forum users,
What was the most important factor in deciding where to do your research degree?
*** research experts?
*** university?
*** country?
*** funding?
*** advertised research project?
*** personal circumstances?
I am putting an article together on the topic and would love your views. Cheers, Nathalie

W

Personal circumstances. Having very young children and house etc meant a move was off the cards. I'm lucky that the local uni is a uk top 10 but i would have loved the chance to apply to top usa or oxford. More Phd need to offer distance study via skype/moodle etc esp in a global market. The limitations on living within comutable distance for the large number of Phds is an outdated udea that restricts the chances of potential phds who are also parents and that's a great shame.

1) Subject area
2) Funding and living expenses
3) People
4) Locality

I was lucky to find a funded PhD at my nearest University (a 'New' University) in a subject that utilised my first degree skills base. Everything fell into place and I didn;t have to worry about extra expenses from relocation. I was offered another PhD at a top five UK University (also local), but selected the 'New' University as the project ticked more boxes.

Also, the professor running the research group had a very good PhD pass rate. He would discourage submission unless he was 99% certain that the candidate would emerge from viva with no more than minor corrections. The conversation with current students was very informative and even then a bit of banter and pisstaking about football helped me have a more positive opinion. There were some strange people there, but these I largely avoided over the four years and I had a nce quiet life where I could just get on with things.

I think at PhD the department or research group is more important than the University name. You really need to go and see what the people and facilities are like before you decide, as well as make sure the subject matter suits you.

When I was interviewed by the other Uni., I did not feel completely at ease. The woman who would have been my supervisor was alright and I was allowed to talk to people at interview. However, I was not taken to meet people of the actual research group I was going to be working with (this point only registered later after choice).

My choice was justified some years later as I went to this other Uni. for post-doc. The Professor in overall charge of the research group was bullying, controlling character, I was assigned a mentor who tried to retain project ownership and I had a miserable year there. If I'd gone there for PhD, I would have probably quit or failed. There but for the grace of God went I.

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

S

hi natalie!
for me it was the Project!
At first I didn't even realise where I was going to--until I checked again and again, it said England, UK

love satchi

C

I applied to any project that sounded kinda interesting.
I had interviews in Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle, Nottingham, Plymouth, Brighton, and Leeds on topics that were in similar areas but fairly diverse.

I picked the one that picked me!

N

Thank you all for your useful comments. Interesting to see all the different motivations and deciding factors.
Cheers
Nathalie

C

The reputation of the groups/departments/institutes I'd be joining if I'm honest. I applied for two projects I found really interesting at the best two places I could. Got two offers. The generous research budget on top of my stipend offered by one institute but not the other swung it in the end.

M

*** topic
*** expert supervision

N

Thank everyone. Really appreciate your input!

B

Hello. I would like to ask you a question: I already hold a Phd in History from a European university, and now I`m intending to apply to a Phd in United States. Given these circumstances, do you think that do I have a chance at being accepted for a Phd in USA?

Thank you very much.

C

Bogdan, in answer to your question, I don't know. But why would you want to do another PhD?

You will also recieve more replies if you start a new thread specific to your question.

B

Charlessman, Thank you for your response. To answer your question, my wife was given a great opportunity to make a Phd at the University of South Florida and we think that she can`t refute this proposal. The problem is that we want to go together, because 4 years represent a long period of time. At present, I`m working for a Romanian University. I teach history. So, the reason for which I want to do a second Phd is because we want to go together in USA and I don`t want to give up my studies in history.
The second Phd seemed to me the best solution.

Quote From Bogdan:
Charlessman, Thank you for your response. To answer your question, my wife was given a great opportunity to make a Phd at the University of South Florida and we think that she can`t refute this proposal. The problem is that we want to go together, because 4 years represent a long period of time. At present, I`m working for a Romanian University. I teach history. So, the reason for which I want to do a second Phd is because we want to go together in USA and I don`t want to give up my studies in history.

Bogdan,

I understand what you are saying, but is there not any suitable post-doc you can apply for there instead?

You may find the Uni. does not look favourably on your application if you already have a PhD. There's issues of you denying a new student an opportunity and the perceived image of hiring a continuous or perpetual student.

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

C

Quote From Bogdan:

That doesn't mean you need to do another PhD, surely? What would that help you achieve, career wise? As Mackem_Beefy has said, surely you should look at post-doctoral/teaching positions at the university? A lot of universities in America run spousal hire programmes but with your wife being a PhD student and not faculty then this might not extend to you.