How do you keep to a research timeline?

P

Hey all,

I just joined the forums and I have questions about research (sorry if this is a duplicate thread, I could not find an answer). I just finished the first semester of my PhD program in computer science. I did well in my classes, but I am not sure how I am doing in my research. I already have a research adviser and they have been introducing me to their work and giving me papers to read. My concern is that I am now on break for the holidays and I have very little motivation to do much work. During the semester, I have no problem studying all day for classes, but I do not feel the same urgency for my research. The topic is interesting, but I have no deadlines or consequences -- other than failing to get a PhD, but that is too far off to seem real. Obviously, I need to transition from my undergraduate mindset of exams and assignment deadlines to pacing myself with my research. My questions are: has anyone else struggled with this and how do you overcome it?

Thanks!

P

Bump since the post was pending approval.

K

Don't kid yourself that you have time. You don't, you need to have a review done by yr1, experiments carried out and result to present yr2, further direction yr3, publish, publish, publish

P

Quote From kikothedog:
Don't kid yourself that you have time. You don't, you need to have a review done by yr1, experiments carried out and result to present yr2, further direction yr3, publish, publish, publish

I am working in the theory realm, so I do not have experiments to perform. I have papers to read and open problems to work on. I am still in the learning all of the background step. My current plan is to work on research for 2 hours in the morning and night whenever possible. Does that sound reasonable?

P

It's not about how many hours you work but what you accomplish within those hours.