How do you start your day?

B

When there is a big task ahead of me I often start the day filled with dread, a similar feeling to being lonely - if I am making sense. Do any of you have any tips about how to best start the day when you are filled with thoughts of "I don't think I can do this". When you go to exercise you usually have to warm up with some light exercises first! What about when going to write a piece of work, any motivational tips for getting off to a productive start? I usually start the day by reading emails, even those that I don't need to, and spend too long thinking about what I need to do.

J

I define my objectives - why do I need to write this; what questions must I answer? Try to get into the frame of mind of your reader.

M

coffee...coffee, and more coffee. If that doesn't work, coffee and chocolate. repeat until desired effect attained

J

Manda's way sounds like more fun than my way

G

I eat a lot of chocolate too...

And I find that keeping a diary helps.

C

I think a diary or a journal is good idea too. I've got one but i'm not so consistent in updating my daily activities

B

I am just going to update my diary now, to set some objectives and see if I can get some serious work done here! I have already had the tea and chocolate breaks, so no more excuses!

S

get a detail plan for everyday work. follow it strictly. and you wont waste your time or get lost

W

At about 11-30 am, after I've finished watching The Jeremy Kyle Show and doing pointless other things like counting birds in my garden. I'm a master procrastinator and I'm going to have to sort it!

Z

Agree with spiegboy.

C

I wasted a vast chunk of today worrying about my chapter and doing nothing... and then, about half past three I suddenly had an idea for a case study...and it is viable. And it is so exciting! I am so looking forward to work tmrw! I will rise early, breakfast, swim, work.

J

It's funny how much easier it is to work when you're excited about something. Wish I could keep that going all the time

B

I start the day in front of the glowy box of wonder (TV), with tea & toast, watching "Just Shoot Me" then "Will & Grace". I always take that hour for myself in the morning, whatever the work situation, and it really keeps me sane!

M

I normally start my day with coffee and email, and I review the tasks I'm currently working on and my appointments for that day. I also try to do some smaller tasks first to get me going.

If I have a large task like you mentioned I break it up - breaking a large task up into smaller achievable bits really helps with motivation. I currently have a load of qualitative data to analyse, so I have broken it up into 30 chunks: 10 participants x 3 bits of analysis for each. I have a list of these 30 chunks, and when I complete one I tick it off my list with a MASSIVE tick and reward myself with coffee or chocolate, or even with 20 mins relaxation or reading a magazine.

Working in different places often helps too - e.g. I go to the office and do one chunk of work, have a coffee and do another chunk of work in the library, walk home and have lunch then do another chunk of work while lying on the sofa, etc.

A

hey! I usually start with a bit of just shoot me and will and grace too, and then a brisk 20min walk to the office gets the oxygen going to the brain, then emails and general messing around on the net for half hour when i get in! however, recently ive noticed that any personal issues im having really stop me working, i can be having a great day and any little disappointments really just knowk me out, cant concentrate at all, any tips for that?! sorry a little off topic, but how do u keep going thru the general malaise?!