How Much is 'significant progress' ???

P

I am working on my Literature Review and I have been told to expect to write about 8000-10000. I have a meeting next Tuesday where my supervisor is expecting 'significant progress'. How much is fair, would you say for me to have completed. I have only done 500 words but plan to work flat out until then to complete at least 5000 words.
Thanks, it goes fast once I start but I am finding it really hard to just get stuck in...
Oh, and Happy New Year :)

C

Happy New Year PinkNeuron :)

If I were you I'd write as much as I could, but also make sure I had the rest of the review roughed out in note-form, so that even if the draft was far from complete I'd have plenty to discuss. That'd be significant progress, in my book.

P

Thanks!
I have just decided to keep writing but have already written my outline and have a 4 page reading list which I will be attaching as the references will all be coming from there, in any case. I have so many other things to do by Tuesday for this PhD that this is about all I can manage, if I make around 3000-4000 words by then, I will be happy.

O

I think that supervisors in general recognize that progress is uneven--sometimes two steps forward, one step back! The main thing I think is to show SOME sort of progress, work in progress, thought in progress, whatever it might be. I stick firmly to deadlines for turning things in--even if the "thing" is not in the shape I wanted it---it might get sent with a disclaimer that it is being sent "as is" and that there are areas where I have questions, need more work, or got stuck...and highlight those as possible discussion points.

Some self-reflection or self-awareness and so forth in disclosing where you feel like you need to boost up the work might be appropriate? Perhaps depends on your field, your supervisor, and your comfort level with the material and supervisor?

Let us know how it goes!