how much money you earn ??

M

Hello. Well, simple question: how much? do you expect better conditions in the future (postdoc jobs...)??

E

Well, I am working FT and doing a PT PhD.
Currrently, I earn 1200 euros per month (about 1000 pounds), and when I finish my PhD, I will be getting 15 euros more per month (that is about 12 pounds)...
I can't leave my job, since I have a contract for 10 years (although it is a permanent job, I have to stay at it for at least 10 years)...
So, not much of a difference for me..........

S

Quote From emmaki:

Currrently, I earn 1200 euros per month (about 1000 pounds), and when I finish my PhD, I will be getting 15 euros more per month (that is about 12 pounds)...
I can't leave my job, since I have a contract for 10 years (although it is a permanent job, I have to stay at it for at least 10 years)...

emmaki, surely you have more freedom of contract than that. You can't have to do a job for ten years!

E

Quote From Slizor:

Quote From emmaki:

emmaki, surely you have more freedom of contract than that. You can't have to do a job for ten years!

Oh Yes I do!!!!
Because I work at a place near the borders of the country, and because I work in the public sector (education), I have to stay at my post for at least 10 years. Otherwise, I will have to pay back all the money I got....
Of course, I am free to move cities if I wish (and then stay there for at least 2 years before I can move again)....

C

Hello Marcopicos, when I was studying for my PhD I had a government scholarship/bursary worth £12,000 per year, so that was £1,000 per month tax free. I also did the odd bit of teaching and admin work and was paid extra for that. I have just finished my PhD and now have postdoc researcher job for a fixed term. This will be classed as a "Grade 6" or "Grade 7" job at UK universities, depending on which one you're at, and the starting salary is around £28,000. This is in the social sciences, mind you, perhaps pay differs across disciplines. When you land your first lecturing job you might expect to be paid a salary of £35,000 to begin with.

B

Quote From emmaki:

Being forced to work in a job for ten years seems a bit harsh, is that the terms of your funding then???

E

Quote From bsforrester80:

Quote From emmaki:

Being forced to work in a job for ten years seems a bit harsh, is that the terms of your funding then???

I don't have any funding!!!!!! I am paying for my Phd!
These are the terms of my permanent teaching position!!
It is unfair, but this is the situation in my country. And I wanted to live and work here (although now I have started to think it again)....

If you are not from here, it is difficult to understand! I guess we are used to it.........

S

That is just incredible... that you have to sign up for 10 YEARS??? with that little freedom?? OMG.... So what happens if you decide that teaching isn't for you? There must be a lot of totally demotivated teachers there who are just doing their time, there certainly would be here ;-)

W

As a PhD student, I used to earn the princely sum of....13, 290 quid. To be honest, I thought that was more than enough for my needs and lifestyle, since sitting around, reading and researching 24/7 was free.

C

Actually it is great if you really like doing research...ten years or more...There is any difference I guess..

E

Quote From stressed:

That is just incredible... that you have to sign up for 10 YEARS??? with that little freedom?? OMG.... So what happens if you decide that teaching isn't for you? There must be a lot of totally demotivated teachers there who are just doing their time, there certainly would be here ;-)

If I was appointed in anther place (not near the borders) then I would have to stay there for 3 years and then I could get transfered (and stay at my new place for 2 years).
Now, I have to stay at teaching for 10 years, but I can get transfered.....
This is the reason why there are very few teachers who want to start teir teaching career at places near the borders! The majority prefer to go somewhere else...
And if teaching was not for me.....then we woiuld have a problem!!!!! A major one!