How much work did you do in your first couple of months

T

Hi,
I'm about to start my PHD, i'm fully funded but still think I will have to earn a bit of money on the side to keep me in the Black. I have been offered 10 days consultancy work over a two month period (the first two months of my PhD. If I take it I will earn enough to insure I won't have to do any more paid work for the rest of the year. However, I am worried that I may get a bit behind with my Phd work which would not be a good start

Any tips or experiences would be apreciated

Tom

V

You know, I think it is allright. In my first year of PhD I has quite a lot of concultancy and others jobs (plus serious personal and health problems) but still passed first year with the first attempt.
BUT, you should be careful if you havent got your Masters from the University you are currently going to PhD and are not familiar with their recquirements, then you will need more time for your first year report.

D

You should be alright as you don't do much in your first two months! It's is your settling in period but it would probably be a good idea to ok it with your supervisor so he/she knows you're not skiving! Is it related to your project/field of study because if it is it'll improve your CV and if they are paying you that well you might as well take it! Good Luck!