How to be organized to get a job after PhD? Any advice?

R

Hi there,
I'm new here. Submitted my PhD thesis in December 2012 and still waiting for my viva. At the moment, i'm pretty lost and terrified after so many years spending in the university. Since, January this year, I've tried to stay organized and look up different website for jobs/postdoc positions, but haven't managed send out any applications yet. I'm not sure why i'm so terrified..i would appreciate any advice or inputs if you have been through this or in samilar situation. Many thanks in advance!
R

S

hi Rumi
I'm the same!!! I was having trouble sending out applications as well. In fact, my self-esteem was so low and I was so depressed.

Here's what happened---one day I saw a job advert for a 12-hour per week receptionist post, so I decided to apply for it because (1) ok I was desperate, and (2) the work location was so near my home---I filled up the form and sent it in--unfortunately I wasn't shortlisted.

but the good news is that I learnt a lot from filling up that first application form, it got me started on job-looking, job-hunting, whatever it's called :-)))

You need to get started---if it's a post-doc, try to contact the principal investigator before you apply, so that will give you some idea whether you are eligible to apply AND some encouragement (if you are eligible to apply)--

then--bravely fill up the forms, write something---and press SEND!!!!!

don't be put off if you're not shortlisted!

Life is the best teacher....
love satchi

B

Satchi is right. Once you've done the first application it becomes much easier. Start by making sure you have a full academic cv that includes everything, then you've got the basis for your applications. Many universities have horrendous online applications - it can be helpful to start by filling in the boring, easy sections. Once you've invested so much time in listing your GCSEs etc then you have an incentive to write the awful letter of application... One tip - keep track of what you've applied to, save the applicant specification and your letter of application / suppoorting statement together. There's nothing worse than finally getting an interview and not being able to find the essential criteria again, because the advert has been taken offline, so you can't prepare properly for the interview.

R

Thanks Satchi and Bewildered ;)
I read your previous posts,Satchi, I think we are both in quite similar situation. I started my PhD quite late (at 31) and it was a struggle for me to finally submitted my thesis. How's your job-hunting so far? Wish you all the best :)
Today, I'm going to aim to complete a cover letter for one application. Will keep you updated with my progress. Nice to find this forum.
Thanks again.
R

S

Hi Rumi, I respond to your post with some advice, having spent over 20 years as a HR Director - and now a student - when writing your application, covering letter, etc - always say how what you've got in terms of qualies, experiences, skills will benefit the company and the role - too many people just think its obvious from the list of qualies that you can do the job - this is never the case - think benefits, not features. also, I hope your task today, a cover letter, won't take all day! If you can't write it inside 1 hour then you haven't worked out why you're the best candidate for the job! I know that sounds harsh, but for every role there's around 200 applications! It's tougher than ever. Good luck!

R

Thanks Sheldon especially "the benefits and not features" advice ;) Haha..oh no it won't take me whole day for a cover letter. In fact, i have had a few cover letters ready but just need a bit of changes for different positions.
Thanks again!!

R

Thanks everyone for your inputs, it has been quick an encouraging day for me today ;) I have managed to correspond with and sent out my very first application. Although, this is a very small step, but it's a good start ;) and I'm quite happy about this. Fingers closed ;) and Gambateh!!