How to economise

C

Thanks, so the picture is less than clear Regardless, I'm still happy to continue munching through soy in preference to dairy products!

J

Me too: I think the evidence leans towards the health benefits overall.

O

sillybilly--

try soya bacon ( even in a bacon butty!) and then see if if you like real bacon better still. Soya bacon is the best stuff I have ever eaten, bacon, or otherwise, for food. Its great. I am not that wild about all soya products, but the bacon! That is great stuff.

J

The idea of soya bacon intrigues me. Isn't soya sloppy white stuff? How do you make that look like bacon?

S

Accept no imitations!! Never, i love meat and am not ashamed to admit it.

H

For excellent nutritional information, including the foods with the highest quantities of each vitamin, signs of deficiency and foods to eat for different illnesses:

http://whfoods.org/nutrientstoc.php

S

Hi all
My mum's getting married this year and does anyone know where we can get a vegan cake? It doesn't have to be a big formal thing, just a vegan cake - and there'll only be 20 people there...

C

Sleepyhead: depending where you live there should be a shop in your area that will seel vegan food. Normally in some kind of co-operative like 'Unicorn' or in generic 'health food' or vegetarian grocers'. You might find it easy to just bake a vegan cake, it really is very easy and cheaper than buying one. I would reccomend:

Moskowitz, I (2007) Vegan with a Vengeance: Over 150 Delicious, Cheap, Animal-free Recipes

Moskowitz, I & T, Hope (2008) Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World: 75 Dairy-free Recipes for Cupcakes That Rule

Dieterly, L (2003) Sinfully Vegan: Over 140 Decadent Desserts to Satisfy Every Vegan's Sweet Tooth

Failing that, just do a websearch for a recipe - it will be easy to follow. The alternatives to milk and eggs are easy to get in any supermarket and cheap too.

C

This online company does catered vegan wedding cakes:

http://www.zedzfoods.co.uk/weddingcakes.php

I mean, you could just go into a bakery and make your needs known. I mean, substituing the eggs, milk, and icing shouldn't be too hard for them!

C

http://www.zedzfoods.co.uk/weddingcakes.php

A one layer vegan wedding cake, enough for 20 people is about £30.

Maybe worth a go.

S

Hi Chris, that's great, thanks so much. I went into Unicorn (I live on the same road) and all the bakeries they are supplied by are only vegetarian not vegan (they're a vegan grocer!) which is pants. 8th Day said the cakes aren't big enough for 20, so I'll try zedz I'm sure there must be someone I can order from...

Thanks again
Sleepy

C

I had no idea you lived in Manchester! I would have named 8th Day etc by name otherwise! lol. Yeah, places like Unicorn and 8th Day are great, but I still need to label check sometimes as non-vegan stuff slips in...

Good luck cake hunting.

J

There's a great health shop in Leicester ("Currant Affairs") that sells vegetarian cakes and savouries. I don't think they're too healthy, though, considering the amount of fat that seems to seep out onto the paper wrapping

S

I've cut out take out coffees altogether, and have been saving around £100 a month! I can't believe how much I used to spend on coffees. It's utterly ridiculous. That's been a huge saving. I've also started buying 'value' everything at the supermarket. Value biscuits/cookies are actually well nice. I've become vegetarian as well, which has saved loads. I make alot of stews/casseroles in bulk and then store them in the fridge/freezer. I can't tell you how much money (and time!) I've saved with the changes I've made!

S

I don't spend a single penny when I'm at uni. I bring in sandwiches, fruit and a flask of coffee. I used to spend at least £10/day and didn't even realise I was doing it. I have a friend who spends £20/day on coffee alone, and he doesn't even finish drinking them! Oh god, I sound like a right scrooge. Feel like my dad who used to whinge about us leaving the lights on around the house!!!