How to go about findind a postdoc position?

E

Hi ladies and gents!
I am currently writing up and hope to submit ASAP - very early next year.
So, I need to figure out what to do next...I actually know exactly what I'd like to do research wise for a Postdoc, but how does one approach this? Just informally contact groups?
I am a bit scared - I have had the PhD experience from hell - still having it really, most demonic supervisor ever - so no support there. I am barely hanging in there with my PhD thesis - don't even know if I actually have a shot at the viva. No publications to date, nor are any likely - how do I overcome this? I really want to stay in research, despite the nightmare PhD.
So, how did you guys start your post-PhD planning? I am freaking out because I haven't lined something up yet.
*gaaaaaar*

C

======= Date Modified 24 Nov 2009 16:04:15 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
Ah, another phd candidate who has 'expanded the boundaries of knowledge at the forefront of their field' but can't use the internet to find a job.

- content removed: advertising -

well cleverclogs - you aint so clever cos the mods won't like you for that! ha

T

======= Date Modified 24 Nov 2009 16:04:28 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============

Quote From cleverclogs:

Ah, another phd candidate who has 'expanded the boundaries of knowledge at the forefront of their field' but can't use the internet to find a job.

Emily can clearly use the internet you smartyclogs, she (assuming gender) is asking about alternative methods of approaching groups, so just leave the sarcasm at home for once, hmm?

Emily, I'm afraid I'm still 6 months from finishing and not too wise myself, but certainly other people in my lab have either made contacts through conferences, meetings, etc, or tried emailing people who's work or group they're familiar with. There's no harm in getting your name out there so I'd say contact anyone you're interested in, never a nad thing to show initiative. A lack of publications doesn't have to be the end of your career, but maybe keep an open mind to RA positions or even temporary academic jobs if you need some time to buld stuff up, that approach worked for a friend of mine who hadn't published.

E

======= Date Modified 24 Nov 2009 16:09:29 =======
======= Date Modified 24 Nov 2009 16:06:23 =======
Thanks cleverlogs, I do know that website by the way. Go play somewhere else.

Thanks for the other helpful answers. I guess one of the problems is confidence - mine is really low right now, so I am a bit apprehensive about how to contact people I'd be interested in working with let alone find the funding to do it.

Maybe I should just email a few people saying "Hi, I'm really interested in your field of work, are you by any chance seeking a Postdoc?" I'm just dreading that so much.
And yes, the actual email would be more sophisticated phrasing-wise.

If anyone wants to throw their "How I found my Postdoc" story in the mix, please do so, searching the forum didn't reveal many topics relating to that matter.

Its something I am very scared about too. Considering you have to really know someone to get a job. But I am actively looking at ESRC grants, so i can potentially approach my current supervisor and ask her to help me with the application. I am also keeping an eye on said site, as well as the one for my own discipline (BPS) although not so much research jobs there!

Other PhD students in your field are always a good resource - especially if they are in a different year. this means if their sup/department has a position coming up you can hear about it first - and obviously if they are not in the same year as you they will not want the job themselves!

S

Hello,

I have same problem here.

I have been advised to search for specific supervisors, read their research interest, then choose what area of their research you like and send an email in a cover letter format, with your CV attached.

But to be honest, I found two groups I like but, for some reason they did not reply to me.

I also know what I like, but what I find it difficult is to find a good group. every one says make a network, but since i have been so busy on my practical work I didn't have time to make proper networking. So the only thing I do right now is searching popular job websites and hope for the best.
Is there any other strategies?

I think the whole world of academic jobs is very difficult. I'm married so desparately trying to find something near to where we live and OH works, but realistically I might have to go into another area of work/commute/live somewhere e.g. do a post doc in manchester while he lives/works in Bristol!

C

Ok Emily, here's how I found a postdoc. I found a supervisor who looked interesting and his group website indicated that he was happy to receive CV's from viva-pending students.

I sent it off with a cover letter affirming his brilliance and my desire to join his group and make him more brilliant. He was very pleased, and I was offered an interview. I start in a few weeks.

M

I guess you've probably tried jobs.ac.uk but as it wasn't mentioned in your post and the replies I just thought I would mention it just in case. A couple of my friends found their post-docs using the site.

Best of luck with your viva and with finding a job in research!

T

Hi Emily,

Write a really good cover letter that makes who ever receives it say "wow - they sound great". But make sure what's included is all true! Try to include things you've been involved in that show initiative, leadership and diligence, I don't reckon there are many bosses who don't want that in an employee.

I was in a very similar position to you, demonic Sup and no publications. But I really put a lot of hours into job applications and have landed a pretty snazzy post doc position as a result. Yay me!

Good luck and don't give up. I reckon you should expect to hear from about 1 in 6 applications.

S

Hi Emily

In my country postdocs are adbvertised twice a year, just like regular jobs. However these would be for defined projects, not a project that I'd thought up myself - I imagine that would be a lot harder to do. I've also made a list of everyone in my field, and am going to send them my cv when I'm close to done. I've also been told to check the national funding body's website, to see who's successful in which projects, then send them an email offering my services too. I've been told to expect to relocate to anywhere.

I don't think this is going to be easy, and I find this horribly daunting...good luck to you!