how to pass first year of PhD?

M

Hi guys,

I have some questions and I hope as many people as possible can contribute with their experiences. Although, I have heard some conflicting advices but would be grateful for advice from students who have already passed their first and second year.

I will start my PhD in life sciences from this October and how can I progress into my second year? Of course it depends on research and reading but this 'Nine Month Assessment' by the end of first year sounds terrifying. I am a bit worried about not passing the first year and progressing into my second year (don't ask me why because I don't know).

Any tips on research background, on the first year report and how it should be, presentations, first year viva' s, or anything else would be great.

Thanks

A

Dear Mh,

I understand just how you feel. My advices through some bitter experiences would be:
1. Work with close conjunction with your supervisors and define your research objectives well by this time.
2. Have a comprehensive literature review ready. Buy this I mean that write a literature review with the suggested reading you have done so far and keep it updated.
3. Talk to your School and also senior students about the normal structure, requirements and length of the report, It might change year to year, but the basics remain the same.
4. Normally the report requires an abstract, introduction, background of the study, objectives, methodology (proposed or decided), literature review, results (or expected results) and a conclusion or future direction.
5.Some universities require a lot of 'original' contribution. Be sure to include them in and know them for sure. Take help from your supervisor.
6. Do some trainings, attend conferences if possible. present posters in the mean time to show you have done enough work.
7. Most importantly, submit the report to your supervisors well before the deadline for suggestions and NEVER DELAY THE INTERVIEW--the more you delay the harder it is to justify that you have done enough work in the time passed.

Best of luck and stay focussed. (up)

K

======= Date Modified 18 Jul 2009 21:23:16 =======
Hey there. I think subjects and unis differ with respect to what you should have done by the first year review but the main thing is to have something to show for your 9 months of work. You should meet with your supervisor regularly, and he/she or the department should set you targets and give you an idea of what you need to have ready for your review. For my 9 month review I had a detailed project proposal completed, a comprehensive literature review (about 15,000 words) written, one paper submitted for publication, NHS and School ethical approval obtained for my project, and a time plan for the rest of the PhD. Some people will have some data by this point and some won't- it just depends on the type of project. Some people seemed to have done more than me in the 9 months and some less than me. I wouldn't worry too much, I don't know anyone from my year who failed at this point, and if you meet with your supervisor regularly then you will know whether you are on target or not. Good luck with your PhD, KB

M

Thanks guys... anyone else?

S

I think the other posts are pretty comprehensive and I agree with their comments. I think the most important thing is that you need to demonstrate that you haven't been skiving off for the year!:-) Do you have a work plan, developed with your supervisor? Have you got your goals listed for the first year? You need to show that you're working towards completing these.

I could list the amount of work I did in the first year, but that might not be helpful. You really need to talk to your supervisor about this. And remember, the uni wants you to pass!

A

I found the following book very useful.

How to Get a PhD - 4th edition: A Handbook for Students and their Supervisors
by Pugh & Phillips.

H

I'd agree with everyone here and add my personal ethos:  treat your PhD as a bone fide job - it is so easy to slack off when you see others doing the same but don't do it. The whole process is exhausting and frustrating and irritating and yet so immensely rewarding at the end.
Above all, have fun.