How upbeat am I?

O

Funding has many variables--what is available through a department, whether you and your institution are eligible for ESRC or other types of funding like that, whether industry pays your funding, whether, if you are not from the UK or EU, you are eligible for funds, and whether your own home country has funds available.

In the US, people generally take out student loans if needed--widely available--to fund education, including PhDs, and maybe work on the side, or do Graduate Teaching, or whatever, to supplement the loans. Fully funded post graduates would be few and far between. I never thought twice about the funded/self-funded issue because from my American lens, self-funding is pretty normal.

O

Now I realise that I am fortunate to have access to student loans, that getting funding in the UK can be critical because there are not the sort of government backed loans available to fund HE as in the US, and funding becomes a critical issue to access HE. Whilst I am not saying going into debt to do a PhD is optimal, I continue to be grateful at least it was an option, because it makes the PhD feasible.

V

I'm not implying that self-funded PhDs are second best and I don't see how that could be inferred from my posts. My point is exactly what you said Smilodon, getting a PhD offer is just one half of the application process and often the easiest part.

C

Hi Hamaflo, I was wondering, as a biologucal science student (maybe about to start my 2nd year), and already having a degree (Business and computing). Can I still start a PhD? I'm interested in animal care/management/research. How do I get started?

K

M

hamaflo, thanks for starting this interesting discussion. You might be able to help me. First of all congratulation that you have managed to secure positions at different universities.

You are absolutely right that funding is a big issue. I am an overseas student and did my BA in the UK and currently finishing off my MSc here as well. I am ver keen to do a PhD and my employer has happily agreed to fund my PhD. I have been in touch with several universities that wanted me to pay over £20 000 per year. There are only two universities left that want £12 000 per year. I went for a chat and was told that I look very keen and will be in touch with me and there will be an interview.

What do you think my chances are honestly?