However,

My supervisor keeps using However, IMO, in inappropriate places.

For example she has edited my work and put a load of 'Howevers' in that start paragraphs. Paragraphs, that don't lead on from the previous on in a 'however' kind of way. For example, paragraph 2 does not disagree, or bring any different info than paragraph 1, but it still starts with However,......

What do you think?

S

I voted yes, not particularly because your supervisor is a numpty, but because my sup tells me that any edits he makes are suggestions, rather than bits I have to include because he has written them in.

N

Hi Sneaks - I haven't voted but I wouldn't remove all of them, just the most inappropriately-placed ones. Maybe replace some of them with an alternative that you think is better like "despite..." or something like that - remember you know what you want to say possibly better than she does. Hope your writing up is going well, Nx

haha star-shaped, that's the issue. She *says* that its my decision. But I leave on track changes, get it emailed back to me and it looks completely red, I'm not even joking here, there will be ONE black word per paragraph, the rest is re-written, moved, deleted (only for publication, she doesn't tend to do this for my thesis work).

AND

she still says "the best thing about you Sneaks is that you're a fantastic writer and your writing skills are AMAZING" (or similar)

Very dispiriting :-(

This is something I can't stand - the use, generally by people in positions at least equal to, if not above, their intended audience, of extra words which add nothing whatsoever to a sentence, reduce readability, and are probably intended to make the author look loquacious and brainy. However...

I did just have to ring my dad up to ask whether I should say 'this effect is manifested' or 'this effect manifests' so maybe I should go with sup!

I'm Sneaks and I'm pretty thick

B

I don't know how you can stand it! These changes relate to writing style, and you already have your own. Of course she prefers her style, because it's hers. But your work should not exhibit her writing style.
You don't like them and they're done in your name. Remove them.

K

Lot's of however's is annoying and looks silly. Same thing with indeed's, therefore's and furthermore's. They are all good words, but in moderation. It's like salt; you want enough, but not too much.

Quote From bleebles:

I don't know how you can stand it! These changes relate to writing style, and you already have your own. Of course she prefers her style, because it's hers. But your work should not exhibit her writing style.
You don't like them and they're done in your name. Remove them.

I'm just finding it difficult to work out whether its her personal style of writing, or an academic style of writing that I'm not good at. She gives me NO feedback, just changes. But she does repeatedly say my writing style is good. But I've thought for a while now that is her own way of motivating me - its not really working.
She also tried to 'motivate' me to finish by saying I couldn't have this funding she'd set aside until I'd completed my thesis, so I pointed out that I'm now going to have to get a job in morrisons - she's now offered me the funding (albeit very little of it!)

B

Quote From sneaks:

I'm just finding it difficult to work out whether its her personal style of writing, or an academic style of writing that I'm not good at. She gives me NO feedback, just changes. But she does repeatedly say my writing style is good. But I've thought for a while now that is her own way of motivating me - its not really working.
She also tried to 'motivate' me to finish by saying I couldn't have this funding she'd set aside until I'd completed my thesis, so I pointed out that I'm now going to have to get a job in morrisons - she's now offered me the funding (albeit very little of it!)

Of course, it's difficult to judge without seeing these additions in context, but there is no one way of writing academically, and writing styles vary lots between authors. That said, if the points you are making aren't as clear as they could be, or your writing style is detracting from the flow of your argument, then that's something that needs to be addressed. But I believe if these flaws existed in your writing, she would be able to explain exactly what the issue is (i.e. 'this bit sounds a little ambiguous because...' or 'if you put "however" here it will help because...'. Have you asked her? Don't ask about the general changes- pick a couple of specific examples and ask her what is gained by adding 'however' in this particular sentence etc. If she says only that it 'seems better' and can't give you any other valid explanation, you have no reason to change them.

I really feel that developing one's own writing style is extremely important; firstly, I consider it to be part of a person's academic identity (but then, I'm in linguistics so maybe I place more importance on it than others), and, secondly, what will you do without her? So, whether it's to improve your writing style or simply to establish it, you really need to find out the reason(s) behind these changes.

P.S. What you say about her own idea of 'motivating' you makes her seem like the 'I know best' kind of person, and whilst that is probably mostly true (she's your sup so you'd expect it to be), it is unlikely to be always true. If she doesn't recognise that, she may well be inclined to impose her own personal writing style upon you, instead of advising you and allowing you to make your own decisions.

P.P.S. I hope she funded you enough to save you from Morrisons! :p

Wow Bleebles, you've made me feel a whole lot better. When I have asked her about why she's changed it, she doesn't really have an answer. Also, her changes frequently end up with the meaning being lost from what I'm trying to say - then we edit edit edit (about 10 times) - and then she asks me to put stuff back in becuase she's changed it so dramatically.

E.g. original sentence: "Dahl (19??) describes how Charlie went to the chocolate factory, which sells sweets and chocolate"

Her sentence ends up "Dahl (19??) eats sweets.

Bonkers.

And not had any funding yet, I'm existing on my overdraft, which is awful. she *says* she *may* have *something* for me soon :-s (although I'm probably lucky to get anything tbh)

B

I think it is your work and you should tell your supervisor that you are only after her input on the strengths, weaknesses and relevance of your argument and not your writing style. Surely it is way past her remit to actually edit your work.

At the beginning of my PhD I had to make this clear to my own overzealous supervisor and we came to a four year long unspoken compromise. She continued to put editorial comments on my work and I continued to completely ignore them. In fact just to piss her off I have just made my final submission with fully americanized spellings (americanized spellings being the thing that drives her crazy). So yes I think you should remove her work and stand up for yourself.