I just got offered a BBSRC 4 year PhD studentship!

E

Yey! I am so chuffed especially as what I am going to be studying is going to be amazing, but also scared... reading some of the comments reminds me how hard it's going to be - especially as I have worked so hard so far to get where I am and it hasn't come naturally...
Should I be worried?

C

Don't be worried...yet. Be happy and proud in the meantime. Plenty of time to be neurotic like the rest of us when you start!

Lycka till! Good luck!

P

Congrats - well done.

K

Hey , good news!

What will your research be on?

S

i felt the same but once you get into your project and if you love the challenge it will be fine congrats

A

Congratulations and well done.

Don't be put off by the threads here. A forum is a great way to get help in what can be quite a lonely path. It feels great to find that there are others having the same problems, and I've seen some really helpful suggestions. However that does not mean that all students have the same probems.

I am half-way through a 4-year funded PhD and it's been brilliant. There are a few PhD students with problems at my Uni, but I think the majority of us lead happy, intellectually stimulating, sociable lives and feed extremely well supported by our supervisors and other academics both within our faculty and outside of it.

There always will be hard times, and a forum such as this is a great way to let of steam or access the wider peer support network. But don't let it worry you. Just get stuck in and have fun.

E

Thank you so much for your messages, especially the last one!
I am so worried and in the middle of my MSc which I feel is pretty intense and if the next 4 years are going to be like this then I think I might cry!!!
Hopefully I'll be ok though - I wouldn't say I was the brainiest person but I work hard and am very enthusiastic and motivated.