I just want to cry

F

I've got a chapter due in this week and I've got lots of really good ideas and material for it.
Trouble is there's loads still to write and I've just had one of the most stressful weeks ever with lots of family worries. I'm having sleepless nights, stomach and back pain and I'm just so sad.
I'm sad because I know that this chapter could be really good and I don't feel it's my fault that it won't be. I just want things to go my way for a tiny little bit of time. Have support from my family, be in good health, be rested just for once in the course of this whole f-ing phd.
Please, someone, a virtual hug?:-(

D

Sending lots of virtual hugs your way

So sorry you are going through a bad patch - it's so hard to focus isn't it when you are feeling so low? I can completely empathise

T

Virtual hugs coming your way Florence! And a present too (gift)

Is there any way you could delay the chapter submission so you have time to work on it, given the circumstances? If not then don't worry, you can always revise later so that it's as good as you know it can be.

Hope things get easier soon with your family and health (my body goes to pieces when I'm upset too, it's horrid).

N

Have another virtual hug, I agree with Teek I would try and get an extension although I know its difficult to ask for; I'm in a similar position myself at the moment. Just another week might make all the difference, if you're health is suffering that shows that you need the pressure taken off you for a while. Does your supervisor know whats going on?

M

Hugs on their way. Sorry to hear you're struggling so much. An extension might be the answer but sometimes it can be better to muddle on through, do the best you're able to and know you can come back to it later. If you can get through this week and get it in, perhaps there'll be a few fewer things to keep you awake next week. I would definitely drop a quick line to your supervisor though, just so that he/she knows the circumstances. Good luck and hope you feel better soon. :-)

M

I agree with the others. Sending your supervisor a quick email so they know the story is always good. I find it's better to hand in the chapter anyway (or the best draft you can) as personally I find extensions can make the stress and pressure hang around until the next deadline. If you give your supervisor what you have and then ask for an extension to revise/finish/perfect it I find this leads to the best situation, for me.

*HUGS*

A

I agree with the others, let your supervisors know and ask for an extension. This might help relieve some of the pressure for you and will enable you to put a better chapter together. After all, if you hand in something that isn't great then they only have to spend more of their time reading / making suggestions etc.

Best wishes in all of this, life really sucks sometimes.

xx

K

Hi Florence,

I was in a similar situation where i needed to hand in a 'perfect chapter' but caught the flu. I sent my supervisor an e-mail telling her that i could not submit by the deadline. I asked for an extension to submit at a later date which she agreed to. Most supervisors will agree. You may need to identify how long you'll need to rest and start writing again so that you dont need to ask for another extension after the extension. It would also be a good idea to take your annual leave at some point and travel to somewhere that you wont need to think about the PhD. Most institutions allow 6 weeks. I hope this helps.

Have a virual hug as well:-)

K

S

hi Florence
I hope you'll be ok soon, here're lots of HUGS for you
keep going
love satchi

L

Florence, A Big Hug from me :-) Doing a PhD can be the most stressful and lonely time. Talk to your supervisors about it, they are on your side, they know how stressful it can be, they were PhD students like us at one point, so they should understand and hopefully give you an extension. Good Luck:-)

F

Thank you all so much for the hugs.
I'm pushing through! Hitting wall after wall and just trying to keep going.
24 hours to go and I've got 8 996 words of what was intended to be a 10 000 word chapter. Unfortunately I still have two major sections not written and lots of gap filling to do. So I've got the words but at the moment they make no sense!
Am so tired, but I did sleep for 8 hours last night for the first time in ages.
I think it was the hugs that did it! (Tearful smile). x

D

Hi Florence,
Glad to hear you are feeling better today :-) Fingers crossed tomorrow is better yet! xx

F

Okay. 24 hours has gone and I'm still here.
I'm up to 11 500 words!
Really want to finish it tonight and send it off so it's there tomorrow morning.
Is there anyone out there?!
I'm not used to this nighttime working. It's so lonely!

Hey Florence, I'm here, although not for long as I'm sleepy. Your progress sounds fabulous; good luck tonight, you'll get there!

N

Hi Florence, I'm here as well, faffing around with an essay on qualitative research methods due in tomorrow (MSc), deleted bits now have 200 words left to fill...I'm not happy with it but not giving up! I had this finished ages ago but I'm being a perfectionist as usual.

I've been through a tough time too lately, I could have probably got an extension for this one but decided not to, good luck and well done for your progress, you deserve a lovely day off tomorrow after this! Nx