I passed my Viva!

M

Hi everyone,

I passed my Viva (with minor corrections) earlier this week. Just wanted to come back here and say thanks to you all. This forum helped me a great deal especially in the last year or so of my PhD. I struggled quite a bit and there were so many times when I couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel. Coming on here and knowing I wasn't alone, and having good advices from you really helped.

To be honest it hasn't quite sunk in yet that I've passed. I still don't feel proud or overly pleased or that I'm a Dr. In fact I still keep thinking about the questions I was asked and kicking myself for not answering as well as I could have. But I guess overall it wasn't overly bad, as I did pass, and my examiners have given very positive feedback. I'm glad it's over though.

For people who're preparing for Viva, I would suggest not to overlook what your internal examiner might ask. I made the mistake on focusing on re-reading my external examiner's work and trying to figure out what he might ask, because my internal examiner doesn't work in the same area as my thesis. However what I neglected was my internal has done some work in a area that is actually related to one of the things I've discussed (but NOT part of my major themes/aims) in my thesis. But as I didn't re-read the literature and refresh my memory the questions he asked about that particular area of work threw me. I suppose I didn't do too badly but I could have done so much better - after all it's something that I'd read and learnt, I just couldn't remember the details at the time!

Again thanks everyone and good luck with your thesis/Viva/job!

Monte xxx

D

Well done Monte! Once the reality of the viva has settled you will be very proud at your acheivement. I guess until the final bound thesis is sent off it still feels like it is not yet complete. I take note of your comments re the internal examiner as I have one that is not in my field but could trip me up lol. Thank you for sharing this.

Big congratulations Dr Monte!

Congratulations Montezuma, that's great news!

I guess it's natural to go back over things in your mind and think about how they could have gone differently, it must be difficult to accept that this is really all over after so many years of hard work! Maybe as the days pass and it sinks in more you'll find you really start to enjoy having finished. Hope so, anyway, it seems a shame to get all the way through this and be too dazed by the experience to enjoy it!

I

Congratulations! (up) (up) (up) (up) Good to see that can indeed be done!

W

Congrads!

B

Congratulations! Delighted for you.

C

Dr Montezuma.

Would you do us the honour of imparting a few questions and answers please ;-)

Its my quest to ask everyone this from now until....

Many congratulations, I suspect it will sink in when you realise that you've stopped thinking about your thesis.

Regards, Chuff

M

congrats. What a feeling.

P

Well done(up)

N

Congrats!