I pulled an all nighter, and now I feel terrible

N

I keep telling myself it is worth it, but is it? I mean am I crazy to be working so late and then working again the next day and night, even in weekends? I'm scared I wont finish in time(turkey).

please tell me how you guys deal with working the whole night. I'm really worn out.

J

I had to tick "never" as it is less than once a week - but at peak times (eg just before submissions or when papers are due) it can be more than one a week. 

How you deal with it depends on how long it is going on for and why. I have a really inflexible sleep pattern so no matter how late I go to bed I still wake at 6ish adn I suffer really badly from jetlag (not jsut waking at funny hours but a feeling of being totally spaced out). When I my MSc dissertation was due in I survived for three nights on two hours per nigh sleep but after it was handed in I was totally wrecked. I coped because I had to and the adrenaline kept me going (plus my husband was very good at feeding and watering me).  It did take a fair while to recover though. For the occasional all nighter when I can't just go to bed the next day I tend to have a bath or shower, take a break with the news papers or something for half an hour or so and then carry on.  If I have done an all nighter and then had to go into work I tend to over compensate on the dress front so extra smart (suit, heels, makeup) so I don't look so rubbish. If I can take the next day to recover then I slob out in front of the tv watching mindless rubbish and sleeping.

Hi Nalie, I clicked 'never' becauset the latest I stay up working is about 2 - 3am, usually I finish earlier than that, but I am not in the writing up stage just yet, so perhaps I will when the pressure is truely on.

I used to pull all nighters as an undergrad, but vowed never again from my MA onwards, on the grounds that jet lag is counter-productive. I hope i an maintain this throughout the PhD, becuase it really is a truely yucky feeling. You have my sympathy.

G

Never pulled all nighters till my final year as an Undergrad, and only did this twice.  Reading over what I had written I see a few typos but the work is good. This makes me think it might have been a lot better if I hadn't rushed it in the final hours.  It is not my preference to do all nighters so I think I will try to avoid them in future.

C

I'm a never man

I think the closest I've ever got to pulling all nighters is when I was doing undergrad finals reviosion, I was regularly up untill 2:30-3am but then sllept untill 11am most days. Generally I'd say they are not worth it as you must struggle to owrk the next day.... but if it works for you

M

I do it once every 3 months or so... It's never really by choice, but sometimes I just have to when I want to make a deadline. I would work til sometime between 6-8am, hand the finished work in, and then go to sleep. When I wake up in the middle of the day I usually feel rubbish, tired and kinda disorientated so I'll take it easy for the rest of the day e.g. do non-demanding work like filing... In an ideal world I'd never pull an all nighter as I just feel so rubbish afterwards. But sometimes I feel I have no choice. I'll try my best to avoid pulling all-nighters but as my submission date is looming I foresee quite a few in the coming months! :(