I've got shingles!

A

Help!

B

See http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Shingles/Pages/Introduction.aspx?url=Pages/what-is-it.aspx for lots of advice. You should be careful not to spread the infection though: people who haven't had chickenpox before can catch it from someone with shingles. This is particularly dangerous for anyone who's immunosuppressed (transplant patient or with auto-immune disease). I caught chickenpox soon after starting immunosuppressants (either from someone with chickenpox or shingles - no idea who though) and ended up in hospital on a drip for a week. But shingles should be manageable at home, with GP's help. Could be painful though. Good luck!

S

That sucks Aloha, sorry to hear that.  It's incredibly frustrating when everything has to grind to a halt because of ill health, especially when it comes out of the blue. Hope you get better soon, don't worry about work in the meantime (sorry if that sounds patronising! Just expressing my sympathies)

H

======= Date Modified 13 May 2009 14:46:33 =======
Aloha, I know how you feel. The areas affected are painful but the worst thing for me was I felt so depressed. I ended up losing my appetite and my mum was really worried so she sent my dad to drive the long way to pick me up. Once I was at home with my family I felt a lot better.

Definitely take a break from your work and if you can go stay with family, who can look after you, even better.

Hope you feel better soon.

M

My friend found aloe vera very helpful for the sore bits. Hope you feel better soon and take it easy!