I want to quit my PhD. Is it in my institution's interests to award me an Mphil?

Q

Hello everyone - I've got a quick question. Any feedback would be invaluable.

In brief, my situation: I'm 9 months into my (ESRC funded) social sciences PhD, and I've been miserable throughout. The departmental atmosphere is aggressive, I'm significantly less qualified than my peers, my supervisor has been largely absent and otherwise utterly destructive in all feedback, and has made it explicit that he regrets taking me on. The topic has changed to the extent that it is a) unworkable and b) painfully dry. My motivation and self-confidence are non-existent, and I've become embarrassingly unproductive, although I've completed the mandatory first year lit review / methodology paper assignments and am (possibly) on track to have something workable for the upgrade (due in approx 4 months).

I've wanted to quit since about 3 months in, but - heeding my parents' advice - I decided not to make any rash decisions and slog it out for a little longer. Obviously I'd like to minimise the sunk costs, so quitting with an Mphil at the end of year one is the desirable option. The problem is this: there is scant information on the criteria for i) the sufficient volume of work to qualify for an Mphil and ii) the marking procedures (ie the thresholds for 'success', or at least a pass). This information is - perhaps understandably - withheld, as I imagine the dept seeks to discourage individuals from taking this option as much as possible.

I'm wondering what the vested interests are for the department / institution in this situation. I've been led to believe that quitting will reflect badly on the dept / my supervisor - given that I'm ESRC funded - and some have suggested that the department would PREFER to award an Mphil rather than have another attrition statistic. Will discussing this with my supervisor damage our relationship even further? Is it worth suffering another 4 months on the distinctly uncertain prospects of getting an Mphil? Does anyone have any knowledge of the sufficient workload to qualify for an Mphil? Many thanks!

T

Hi, sorry to hear about your situation.

In order to be awarded an Mphil, you will still need to have some sort of original contribution to knowledge. In the sciences, this is normally considered to be one data chapter (a PhD would have 3 data chapters). A Mphil thesis is usually about 30,000 words, but this will vary.

I think you should discuss this with your supervisor, or if you would prefer, your head of year or an academic that provides pastoral care.

Quote From TreeofLife:
Hi, sorry to hear about your situation.

In order to be awarded an Mphil, you will still need to have some sort of original contribution to knowledge. In the sciences, this is normally considered to be one data chapter (a PhD would have 3 data chapters). A Mphil thesis is usually about 30,000 words, but this will vary.

I think you should discuss this with your supervisor, or if you would prefer, your head of year or an academic that provides pastoral care.

MPhil doesn't necessarily mean you have to make an original contribution to knowledge, but it would help. Some MPhils are about simply applying current knowledge or techniques to a situation (i.e. teaching company knowledge transfer scheme between industry and academia) and if you come across something very significantly new then you're upgraded to PhD.

Returning to the OP, it appears you've given it every chance. However, at 9 months you'll be lucky to have collected any significant data to put into an MPhil. For an MPhil, I'd probably be looking at 18 months minimum with at least one discussable set of quality data (a completed study) that would survive viva scrutiny. You're only 9 months in and still significant work to even get to MPhil, so it is perhaps better after trying to stick it out to call it a day and withdraw. The situation may not be worth your wellbeing.

I've been in a department exactly as you describe for my second post-doc where the Prof. made it clear on me starting the job he regretted employing me (but I'd signed the contract). One hellish year followed, followed by a year on the dole without references from said Prof.

However, it's also better to look for work in your current situation rather than go on the dole (i.e. economically active). If you happen to reach MPhil standard, all well and good. If not and a decent job comes up, then jump ship and f**k 'em!!!

Ian

B

Like the others, I think an MPhil requires quite a bit more work that you will have done thus far. I have one alternative suggestion on that front: if you are ESRC funded and have been doing the coursework requirements, is there anyway of exiting with an MRes or an MA/MSc in social science research? I teach in a social science department, and here that would be a way out with a qualification if you were prepared to write a dissertation (10-12,000 words).
My other thought is to ask yourself why did you want to do a PhD and what used to excite you about your topic. This is rescueable if you still feel some spark. Some thoughts:
1) everyone is more qualified than you - well you got the funding didn't you? It's not easy to get ESRC funding so there must be something going for you. When I look back to my PhD I was thoroughly intimidated by many of my pretty arrogant peers. But looking back the boastful ones weren't that good really, indeed some never completed. It might help to google imposter syndrome and see if you relate to it.
2) Destructive criticism - this does sound very much like year 1 of a social science PhD. Up until now I am pretty certain that you were a great student; probably getting coursework feedback was a process of almost all praise. Suddenly you start a PhD, and your writing style gets picked apart, you don't understand most of the theoretical material and your supervisor instead of saying nice things to you, just rips things apart. It is a transition stage that everyone goes through, because it's about lifting your writing to a higher level. Not nice but you will come out the other side. I promise.
3) How about changing supervisor? It does happen and regular absences are a good excuse to ask for a switch. Is there anyone else who you could work with who might be nearer to your original idea?