I was punished for being honest and being myself

M

So, many of you know the story of my R&R.
I don't actively tell people about this, but when they ask me I never hide the truth.

In the last 3 years I have been volunteering at XXXX project abroad. The have not invited me to be there next year, even though they have invited everyone else I know, including people who don't even have a BA. Basically, whoever pays good money, they can take part in the project.

But no. They don't want me to go back. I suspect two things: a) it's because I told them about the R&R last year, or b) it's because I am teaching at a university which is associated with a specific religion. This religion is against the religion of the country of the project... i.e. I am a victim of politics, since the local government will need to approve my licence to volunteer in the project. or c) the project co-ordinator, who absolutely hates me (he hasn't even got a masters degree but he has big money), has made everything possible to kick me out of the project.

Moral of the story....

I don't know... You tell me.

Have a good weekend!

T

d) You refer to people as "he hasn't even got a masters degree" and "don't even have a BA." Perhaps your academic snobbery is viewed as poor teamwork.

M

I disagree. I do not refer to these facts because I snob people, but because I wish to show you how the project operates. How can you call me snob if you don't know me in person after all?

T

Why don't you ask them why you haven't been invited marasp? They might not tell you the truth but if it was me I would ask them anyway. I doubt your R&R is the reason, it seems internal politics is more likely.

M

Quote From TreeofLife:
Why don't you ask them why you haven't been invited marasp? They might not tell you the truth but if it was me I would ask them anyway. I doubt your R&R is the reason, it seems internal politics is more likely.

Possibly.
I will ask, but I am afraid that I will receive a generic reply.

I would like to add a couple of points about the project:

I don't snob anyone. All people participating at the project are doing a fantastic job, no matter their background.
The problem is that the nature of the work is legal - it has to do with human rights in third world countries.

So, if one has no legal experience or at least a BA in law, they cannot do much to help, compared to someone who has these qualifications. My supervisor is in fact less experienced than I am, but I never complain and I always do what they ask me to do, even if they are wrong.

D

It's not too surprising given the inherent resistance from certain faiths to the concept of human rights full stop if it contradicts centuries old religious tradition infused with misogyny. I imagine that these type of political considerations are not uncommon in certain fields.

M

I asked and received a generic reply.

Anyway. I have decided not to be disheartened and find an alternative project to get involved with. Maybe in another country...

After all, the results of my PhD should be out in the following weeks. Hopefully they will be positive, and then I can apply for more projects with more confidence.