I would like to quit PHD...Please Help

T

Here is my story. I am currently doing my PhD(2nd semester) in Biomedical Engineering .I already have a masters degree in Mechanical Engineering. I was genuinely interested in doing research. So that was the reason for me joining the PhD program. But of lately I lost the motivation to do any thing in my life, let alone doing research. There have been days where I did not eat for three to four days. I have also put on lot of weight and dark circles started appearing under my eyes. I am generally a very optimistic person. But these days I am very sad almost every moment of my life. But I don't how to approach my advisor who actually is a very good person. I was thinking may be I can study for one more year and get a masters degree in Biomedical engineering instead of quitting midway. I would like to know what u guys think?

S

hi there. I assume you only recently felt like this? I guess it is common for us phd students to feel sad at times, lose motivation etc. Just one day ago I was all confused over statistics. Then today make-up (me and my mascara).

Settling for MSc is a good idea; but maybe you need more time to think and you also need time to recover, to get well. Find someone to talk to, your supervisor, a postgraduate tutor, mentor, someone who can help you decide so you won't feel so alone. Its better to speak honestly with your supervisor; since he is very good, as you said, he should be in the best position to give you advice.

:-) satchi

N

Guess you need to take a short break from your busy schedule to recharge. But the roller coaster mood is quite understandable and not something unusual within the research fraternity.

Cheers!

Nitin Barekere

M

======= Date Modified 06 Mar 2010 07:00:46 =======
I think a lot of PhD candidates experience issues with stress, motivation, and feeling anxious and/sad. I know I do. I would suggest maybe making an appointment to see a counselor or psychologist, just to see if, as professionals, they could help in some way. Someone like that would be in a good position to give you an objecive assessment. In fact, I think counselling should be compulsory for all PhD candidates for the duration of our candidature.

I also suggest not making any decisions about whether or not you'll continue until you've got some outside advice (i.e., from your supervisor or a psychologist etc., not just from message boards).

W

======= Date Modified 06 Mar 2010 10:41:43 =======
Hi Telugodu5. Read your post and alarm bells started to ring. If you've generally lost motivation, not eating properly, weight gain etc. that could be clinical depression as opposed to "just" PhDepression... Is there a counsellor you could talk to at your institution? Or maybe have a word with your GP. Do, please, go speak to someone about this.

Gah! it deleted my hugs - so here's some more ((((((())))))))

T

Thanks for your valuable suggestions. Do you think my advisor will allow me to get a master's degree. Also is it difficult to find a job if I quit Phd.Because I have pretty much decided not to do PhD.I have also talked to my parents and brother about it and they supported my idea.

S

hi! Since you have made your decision, theres only one way to find out!
Dont worry, your advisor will definitely consider your decision and will help you figure out what is best for you.
In fact, doing up to masters is better than quitting with nothing. It is still an achievement.
Why are you worried about job? Do you know there are thousands of jobs out there, job is always there, only thing what you want exactly might be difficult to find. The world is out there for you to explore.

there are lots of successful people without phd, without masters, without a proper education.
You should be able to find something. Dont worry about that. Worry only about NOW, what you are going to do for yourself, live in the present first.

satchi