Imposter Syndrome and Stress

S

I am new to this forum and I apologise for doubling up on threads.

I have been struggling a lot lately. I have passed my upgrade with flying colours, and have started my second year. However, I feel like I am underperforming. I have no idea what I am doing drafting my first chapter, and with my next supervision coming up imposter Syndrome is kicking in. I know my topic is good, I wouldn't have won a scholarship otherwise. But with little money for getting to the library etc I feel I am not getting enough done.

I am a history PhD and if anyone knows a good PhD study guide for history PhDs with advice on chapter drafting/structure that would be helpful. So stressed.

Help!

A

Hi Samaylett, I wondered at the statement "But with little money for getting to the library etc I feel I am not getting enough done." Doesn't your institution have a digital collection of books, journal articles etc that you could access?

S

Of course, my concern is more about having a suitable work environment. I do get work done, but I am often interrupted at home, with little space to hide away and concentrate. I don't want to sound like a moaner, but I am much more productive at the library, I can get work done at home, and I do, but it also adds to the isolation.

A

Oh I see. Do they have any 'shut up and write' sessions near where you live? Perhaps in a local library? A lot of people find them helpful. The pomodoro technique is also a useful writing tool (when you need that extra burst of productivity) though it wont be everyone's cup of tea: https://lifehacker.com/productivity-101-a-primer-to-the-pomodoro-technique-1598992730

S

Quote From Amaryllis427:
Oh I see. Do they have any 'shut up and write' sessions near where you live? Perhaps in a local library? A lot of people find them helpful. The pomodoro technique is also a useful writing tool (when you need that extra burst of productivity) though it wont be everyone's cup of tea: https://lifehacker.com/productivity-101-a-primer-to-the-pomodoro-technique-1598992730

That's a great idea I will have a look the local library is quiet and I will definitely use it and see if they have shut up and write sessions, I do self imposed sessions also ☺️ thanks for you reply and I'll certainly check out that technique

P

I would also add that "second year syndrome" is a real thing.
My second year was awful. I put so much into the first year to get the upgrade that I hit the wall in year two. Took a wee while to get over that.

S

Quote From pm133:
My second year was awful. I put so much into the first year to get the upgrade that I hit the wall in year two. Took a wee while to get over that.

Sorry to hear, I hope you managed to pull through it. That is how I feel. I guess it is comforting in a way (of course I feel for the fact you went through that), that we share experiences.

P

Quote From samaylett:
Quote From pm133:

Sorry to hear, I hope you managed to pull through it. That is how I feel. I guess it is comforting in a way (of course I feel for the fact you went through that), that we share experiences.

Yes I got through it and have my PhD now but it is very rare I think for people to undertake an entire PhD without having some problems like yours.

Everyone encounters difficulties at some point so you are not alone.