Including Supervisors as authors

D

Hi all,

How plausible is it to include your supervisor(s) as co-author(s) when in fact, they haven't had the time to contribute or supervise your work that has been accepted for publication? Should you just include them anyway to your debut because they're your supervisors or should you just get on with your work, make your stamp and get them to buckle up for future publication?

D

K

Hey! I think this is a bit of a political issue. My primary sup is on all of my papers as a co-author, since she has commented on many drafts before I've submitted my papers. However, I do have a second supervisor who is much less involved in what I do, and when I have asked my primary sup whether to put him down as last author she always points out that he's had nothing to do with the paper at all. In fairness, he doesn't look at my work unless it's for a PhD review or something, but there is a weird sort of rivalry between my two sups so I don't think she would ever let me put his name down on my papers. Her other reason is 'well, I bet my name won't go down on sup no. 2's students' papers'....so it seems a lot of it is about competition and rivalry. I did wonder if I should ask my second sup if he should go on my empirical papers since he contributed a lot towards recruitment, but if he says yes and my primay sup says no then I won't know what to do! So I don't think there's an obvious or standard answer to your question. At the same time I would tend to err on the side of caution- the last thing you want to do is majorly annoy your sup just for the sake of putting their name on the paper. You could just ask them?!!! KB

C

Hi D.

There was a thread on this a little while ago.. the consensus seemed to be name them ... but I asked the question, got it out in the open. 

I would suggest making your sups "buckle up" may be asking for trouble ;-)      But hey, I'm all for being controversial - however, i plan to wait til post PhD to stir things up ( call me a wimp)

Take care. Chuff

Other thread below..

http://www.postgraduateforum.com/threadViewer.aspx?TID=16838

S

not sure, but this may help (a thread created by me about a year ago)...

http://www.postgraduateforum.com/threadViewer.aspx?TID=12633

D

======= Date Modified 07 Dec 2010 22:06:40 =======
Hmm

S

Well then, good for you :-)