Informal Interview

S

Hello people!

I applied for a research job back in January at a very well respected Uni, not in the slightest thinking they would consider me. Anyway, I didn't get the job as they wanted someone to start asap, and they appointed someone with a PhD whereas I'm a good six months off that still, but the woman whose project appointed the researcher got in touch with me to say that they loved my application, and hoped to get me for interview at a later date.

Today, I got an email from her to say that they would like me to go for an 'informal' interview and offered a few dates over the next month. We decided I'd go in a couple of weeks (3rd June), but I have absolutely no idea what to expect. She emphasised that it was an informal chat with her and the Researcher she appointed over me about "possible future collaborations" with me, but did note that a job would be available in the new year also. They were very nice and friendly, they're arranging my travel for me, and have promised to take me to lunch as their guest, but what should I do as prep? Would you do the same as for a normal interview? What should I wear? (Given the interview is 200 miles and a 3 1/2 hour train journey, all I've worked out is that I should probably have a hairbrush and some extra make up in my bag!)

HHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPP!

E

======= Date Modified 20 May 2009 23:24:34 =======
======= Date Modified 20 May 2009 23:07:56 =======
======= Date Modified 20 May 2009 23:07:12 =======

Quote From sleepyhead:

What should I wear?  (Given the interview is 200 miles and a 3 1/2 hour train journey, all I've worked out is that I should probably have a hairbrush and some extra make up in my bag!)

HHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPP!

Spare pair of tights and an umbrella (small compact). And if you are going to eat I would take a toothbrush.  Few things worse than suddenly realizing that the person you are trying to impress is fixated on a errant lump of spinach.

W

That sounds well good, Sleepyhead! Good luck with it all. You sound erudite and an accomplished worker anyway, so you should be fine. Good luck.;-)

S

you should defo prepare - nothing could be worse than not meeting the expectations of someone who has gone out on a limb for you. So make sure you know the area well, and also make sure you know the project well.

and yes dress smartly, no uncut fingernails, but a suit would be inappropriate.

F

I'd go smart dress, for sure. But make sure it's nothing easily creased, there's nothing worse than getting up after a 3 hour journey to realise you're all folds!
And as for preparation, I think since they're going for an informal interview they just want a chat. So put a friendly face on and get your light hearted conversational skills out. Think of it more as a chance to network as opposed to an interview.. If you do any prep I would go for researching again into the role they advertised originally, getting familiar with the work of the people who are interviewing you and of course your own work (which I'm sure you're sick to death of and know better than the back of your hand). Get to know the uni's atmosphere and perks, general points about the city/university.

Make up and supplies are always a good idea but if you overpack it seems a bit unprofessional! One thing I never leave the house without, though: White eyeliner. It makes your eyes look less sleepy if you've had to wake up at an ungodly hour to get somewhere!

I think that's it. My main point is to relax! If they wanted a formal interview they'd have asked for one, so you don't need to impress them so much!

S

lots of good advice from everybody... best of luck!!! love satchi