Insanity? or...

K

Hi all,

I am considering applying for my PhD. However I have already studied two years of another PhD and had to withdraw because of some pretty serious supervisor issues. Needless to say it left me a broken mess. I decided then I would never go back to science but lately the inkling has begun again. I would like to go for it again in a different place. Is this absolute insanity on my part? Its something i have wanted to do since i was very small and i feel cheated about what happened.

Please help im going mad.

P

why not try again? but build your profile & make it strong

K

Thanks PinkPiglet. I just dont want to go through what she put me through again and maybe Im just scared. Anyone been through this before?

D

======= Date Modified 01 Jun 2011 20:38:57 =======
Go for it as it seems like something you really want to do especially as you've been there and seen the ugly side but still keen! At least you'll be going in with your eyes open! I hope it all works out!

M

Hi Kami,

no, not madness - go for it! :-) It's obviously something you really want to do.

I did something similar, I started a PhD about 15 years ago and left half-way through (after 3 years, I was doing it part-time) for a number of reasons: supervisor problems, having a baby, being very fed up with it... I am now almost half-way through another PhD (full-time and fully funded this time) in a completely different subject are. I'm really enjoying it. :-) Just one note of caution: my last experience has had quite a negative effect on me and led to (or at least contributed to) major depression. It also really undermined my confidence which is still affecting me now: I constantly feel I'm not good enough and can't imagine actually completing this PhD, even though, objectively, I'm doing ok. You might not have the same issues, of course, but just be aware that your last experience might affect how you feel about doing another PhD.

Good luck with it! :-)