*insert expletive here* hell! A book recently published contains....

C

material which infringes on much I wanted to contain in my thesis.

Arghhhh! So now I have ordered this very expensive book so I can check it out and alter my thesis.

I really didn't want this, a month before my next panel.

Anybody have experience of this?

H

Who's the scumbag who did it to you? My supervisor nicked a section of my work and claimed it as his own. Nothing I can do about it.

C

No , it isn't anybody I know. Just a recently retired academic. And the book looks beautiful. Crud.

X

God yeah chris! I have experienced this--and it hurts like hell, doesn't it?! So frustrating, my sympathy goes out to you. I hope you don't have to go right back to the drawingboard???

H

I know the name of a really good assassin.

S

b*******! How dare they? I think you should buy some crayons and draw all over their precious bloody book. Then put some nice colourful pictures on your thesis. Flowers maybe. Or a little kitten. and a smily face. That can be the originality bit.

C

I have often imagined sending a thesis to my supervisors with puppies and kittens in it, a few flowers, and happy faces - and my preface would read (verbatim):

" I wrote bout animals cos I fink they r well cute"

C

The book arrived. I read it - it is magisterial. My thesis is ravaged, I will have change chunks - but thank god, she has ommited to look at something I was signficantly looking at. So relief and tears in (unequal) measure.

R

my old supervisor has been accused of doing the very same thing. what a scumbag!!!

R

Hi Chris,

maybe you could use your own research and state that a lot of your views are similar to that of an independent other ressource (this book) and this confirms the strength of your argument.

B

Look on the bright side - at least it means you're on the right track, and not writing daft nonesense :) If a good academic is replicating your ideas, then they must be good! Chin up.

C

Thank you. I know things will pick up. I feel extremely low right now. My PhD has totally lost its mojo.