Interview - own ideas about future research

Z

At an interview, how much do they usually want to know about what kind of research you would like to do in the future?
I have my first one in a couple of weeks, and I really want to work with this supervisor. During my degree project I got interested in a certain topic, and then I found a paper from last year that answered all my questions (by this supervisor). Problem is, if he asks me what the next step of this research would be, I wouldn't have a clue. How much emphasis do they put on this, in your experience?

B

Hi Zingo,

If you go to interview and show that you know the area reasonably well and can at least show some inititive/imagination in thinking of new ideas, you wont be far wrong. Just remember, when starting out you are not meant to be the expert, when you finish you are.

GL

S

i had quite a few interviews and none asked that sort of question, it was more why i felt i was suitable for their project(degree/research experience etc) so a bit of background reading can be useful.

T

The only thing that I was asked about regarding my future was where I saw myself going i.e. industry v's academia and whether I was interested in pursuing blue sky science or more practical science.

M

I have, in past interviews, been asked whether I would continue to work in the field when I got the PhD. I think scientists and research councils see the grant as an investment in scientists of the future, and not just living expenses for someone who will do some work for them.