Interview Tips

K

Hello all!

I have been offered an interview for a Graduate TeachingAssistant…. I’ve accepted the invite, and am now starting to prepare for theinterview. Does anybody who has alreadybeen through this process have any advice on how to prepare? What kind ofquestions were asked at your interview? Obviously I am going to spend time refreshing my mind regarding theproposal and was planning on re-visiting original texts that I used in thecurrent literature section of the proposal – is this necessary to do in greatdepth? Any other tips whatsoever?

Many thanks

Kirsty

S

======= Date Modified 09 Aug 2011 23:20:12 =======
HI Kirstyvale,

Firstly congratulations on your interview!! Thats amazing and you have clearly worked hard to get it. Its unclear what level you are a t (Bsc, Phd ?). I worked initially as a technician and had an interview for this. I was asked primarily on my final year project and work experience. I found it helpful to have a printout of some slides summarising my final year project to explain to my interviewers, emphasising methods/techniques which I had learned and also work I had to do independently. I was also asked 'why do you want to be a technician' and 'do your qualifications not suit a higher level job?' so perhaps be prepared for those? Also was asked 'what is your proudest achievement in life' and 'if you were in a bar and had to explain your final year project?'. I hope that helps you, but to be honest most interviews are pretty straightforward! As long as you want the position you'll be fine! But best tip of all : Go to pub and have at least two pints before your interview - it will make the world of difference!! (trust me, it really does!!).

Best of luck and let us know how you get on!
seven xx:-)

K

Hi Seven

Thanks for your comments!

The interview is for a Graduate Teaching Post, which would involve a PhD (proposal was submitted in application for the post) and some teaching... which I would image would be undergraduate tutorials.

Thanks once again

Kirsty

K

Hi all
Just bringing this back to the top to see if there are any more tips at all? The position is a graduate teaching assistants job, with doing a PhD alongside it. So, if you have been interviewed for a GTA position before, or PhD, what kinds of questions were you asked?

Many thanks

Kirsty