Is everybody working particularly hard at the moment?

P

I just wondered what people were up to as there seem to be very few posts on the forum at the moment. Is it an end of year thing that people are putting extra hours in so they might possibly have time off during the festive season? I finish my second year at the end of january so I see that as an important milestone and am working hard to sort out and analyse my data, which is taking me a lot longer than I expected.

B

I've just finished 2 more chapters and sent them off to my supervisors for feedback. That takes me to chapters 1-6 written with only chapter 7 (conclusions) and bibliography to do. Going to take a short break before revising the other 4 chapters (previously got feedback on them) and thinking about how to tackle 7. But I'm not rushing this: I'm seriously ill long-term so can't push too hard, plus I'm part-time so years/deadlines are a bit different.

S

Not especially although I'm trying to have a complete draft bar bibliography by Xmas for final submission March. I'm finding it tough going as I am pretty fed up of it. I don't have anything very positive to say for myself, frankly. I just want to get finished. I'm disappointed to miss a final submission by Xmas but that is just impossible as I'm still finishing the analysis with the write-up.

O

Yes, and did not intend to even be working this evening, but am on a roll, other plans went by the wayside, and so here I am. Things are generally going well, though taking longer than I thought, but oh well. I am also newly keeping very healthy food in the office in the form of almond butter ( like peanut butter), almonds themselves, and oat cakes to put the almond butter on, and its great. The protein keeps me full, and I don't klnow, perhaps its helped the energy and concentration levels?

M

Quote From Smilodon:

Not especially although I'm trying to have a complete draft bar bibliography by Xmas for final submission March. I'm finding it tough going as I am pretty fed up of it. I don't have anything very positive to say for myself, frankly. I just want to get finished. I'm disappointed to miss a final submission by Xmas but that is just impossible as I'm still finishing the analysis with the write-up.

I'm in the same position. I need to get a full and virtually finished draft completed by Xmas (I'm already amazingly behind my schedule)...so no festive season for me! I'm also terribly fed up and frequently not getting anything done.

I'm sure once you get that full draft finished you'll feel much better.

S

I've only just started and I'm going hell for leather right now on a pilot study that has already proved wrong some recent publications, so my supervisor wants to go for publication also - to say I'm bricking it is an understatement! I also have to prepare a lit review for my first panel in the new year so I'm guessing that it will be pretty full on over christmas.
I do envy those of you who are close to the end and have a light at the end of the tunnel, mine seems an awfully long way away :-(

R

Similar to Smilodon and Missspacey, submitting a complete draft by start of December for final submission in Feb. Have been ill all week too, though have had to go to work, so all my PhD stuff has had to slip down the list of priorities a bit. I'm now wondering how to make up for the PhD time lost through having a head that feels like its full of cotton wool, rather than anything more useful. A lost week is a long time when you've got the 'ultimate deadline' looming ahead.

I'm fed up with it all too. I keep waking up the night thinking about my methodology 'issues', and worrying that my whole methodology is flimsy, or that all my primary research is insubstantial and I'll have to do loads more new work over the next few months before I can submit, on top of normal corrections and possible restructuring. And thinking how much easier life would have been if I'd taken a more straightforward approach to my topic, though it would probably have been less intellectually engaging if I had, I suppose. I'm also wondering how to squash Xmas and family birthdays into the minimum days possible, as opting out of Christmas isn't really an option without seeming like a completely anti-social Scroogey freak. I'm just glad I'm not the only one in this situation!

S

Well I certainly hope it will feel better when I get a complete draft!!

Ruby - a sensible person would never have persevered with my project but I did and her I am and that's that. Let's hope we all get our Xmas drafts done and can enjoy Xmas.

A

Submitting at xmas.  Agreed to write an article by xmas that's not even started.  Too much teaching.  Currently bricking it.

Really interested in the concept of almond butter, though, Olivia!

W

I'm working really hard...but not on my PhD. I'm teaching and I fxxkinx feel like I'm running a module. Madness.

O

Quote From alicepalace:

Submitting at xmas.  Agreed to write an article by xmas that's not even started.  Too much teaching.  Currently bricking it.

Really interested in the concept of almond butter, though, Olivia!

The almond butter is yummy! I am going to get some more today at the local healthy food shop. Its lots of protein, makes a nice snack, or handy for lunch at the desk, along with some oatcakes ( or whatever you want to spread it on). I used to suffer from a nearly endless hunger whilst working, but the almond butter has cured this. I think that I was not eating enough protein during the day, so whatever I ate did not really fill me up. The added protein has also improved my energy levels and concentration. I recommend it--its cured ( at the moment) some of the bizarro symptoms of writing up I was having!

S

So I have a year left. I'm working a little harder than in the summer, but not too much. I believe in good work life balance. I'm also more efficient so I'm getting more done in less time.

R

I got some of that almond butter today and it's very tasty, so thank you Olivia!!

Oh yes, and apologies for moaning in my last post back there, I know we're all in the same boat. :-s

S

Almond butter sounds really interesting :-) Is it expensive? I might get some - not too keen on peanut butter but I do like almonds

O

Holland and Barret have it for like £ 2 or £2.50. But it lasts a while, its well worth it. and very healthy.