Is high level of depression related to PhD system?

R

Just a thought: I get the impression that quite a few people feel low and also are doing a PhD. Obviously potentially there is a bias as the ones who do OK will problably not post something like "I am so happy...." but on the other hand it is striking how often this comes up. Could well be that "Badhaircut" has a point that working conditions are not excellent and possibly the dependent position is quite draining. May be we should get counselling or training in becoming more assertive? Or should the system change?

C

hi rick
experiencing such intense stress and being depressed myself, I have to say that I don't really feel I am getting enough support from my university. They do offer some training for phd students (such as Starting a PhD, Time management etc) but I can't say I found those courses very useful. Mostly because I didn't take them when I was actually feeling low, and because I don't think the facilitators really related to us (phd students). I tried to contact one of them to personally discuss my stress and they never got back to me... For me, it would have been very useful if I could know more about what to expect BEFORE I started a phd. For instance, such courses could be held for potential phd students, by some 3rd or 4th year phd students, where discussions would be more honest and sincere.

S

I would really love to know if my experiences are typical or not - I wish there was some solid data (like a compulsory survey - I recently participated in the Postgraduate Research Experience Survey, but since this is voluntary I guess people who have had a bad experience are more likely to fill in the form. I certainly enjoyed it I don't think the results of this are available to individual participants or the public - which makes me a bit angry).
I totally agree that a balanced view should be presented to PROSPECTIVE students. I really doubt this will ever happen though. The university aren't going to broadcast the fact that people can have an awful PhD experience. All I remember pre-induction was - 'the best three years of your life' and at induction 'your supervisor will become your best friend'.

B

"The best years of your life".

Funnily enough, a phrase often associated with cold showers and buggery at public school, as well mind numbing compulsory military conscription in certain European countries. Its funny how these widely touted "best days" are anything but.

V

Hello Rick
I believe depression (in PhD) is related to not being in control of your life. Many PhD students get caught in doing a research that is truly not of their most ardent interest. They work in an alienated way. When they realize it, it is too late. In addition, many times students must face a supervisor who has little interest on them and their life as persons. Then, many times, social life is reduced to a minimum with its psicological consequences. Of course I see many coming to say "that is not my case, Im having a wonderful time and my supervisor is wonderful plus my social life is great" I would rather think they are an exception. Finally, the ones who seem to be doing great are a depressing reference for the many having a terrible time. In this way, the ones having a terrible time use to think "he is doing great and Im doing terrible, there must be something wrong, Im a failure!" Which adds more for depression.

V

Sue,
It also has to do with the fact that what you certainly enjoy might be actually the opposite of an "enjoyable" thing for someone else.

M

I also think that it's likely that, as well as PhD students being more likely to suffer from depression than average due to working conditions, pressure, uncertain future etc, people who have a tendency towards depression are more likely to be PhD students than those who do not. Cause and effect and all that jazz.

R

it is interesting to see and read your views. Could well be that people get lulled into the PhD without really understanding what it is all about. And obviously although I understand that part of the learning process is mastering problems yourself, there may be well be a big need for counselling / mentoring / supervision or whatever you want to call it. In fact this forum could be seen as a support service!

S

The problem I have with this is view is that it suggests that the path of the PhD student is not well trodden. Hundreds/thousands have passed through the system before us, some make it, some don't. The PhD waters are well-charted.

Whilst I accept that some supervisors forget what it was like for them when they did their PhDs, if you start a PhD without knowing what you were letting yourself in for, you are setting yourself up for a fall. There are plenty around who you can ask. I consulted with a number of people before embarking on this path so I know and expect a rocky road ahead. Likewise, I'm aware that depression is a risk, but I know the signs and how to manage my way out of it. Time will tell how prepared I am for the road ahead!

K

Interesting thread. As someone who suffered with depression/anxiety to the point of feeling suicidal in my 3rd year, I have wondered about the prevalence of mental health problems in PhD students. There is a good article in UK GRAD magazine...on page 7
http://www.grad.ac.uk/downloads/documents/Publications/GRADBritain%20issue%201%20FINAL.pdf

What really strikes me now I have been through it, is the abundance of statements that make claims about how you "should" feel about various stages of the PhD. Others have already mentioned about supervisors and "best years". I also found the period between submission and viva extremely difficult. It was tough having people say "congratulations" for submitting and assuming that I was relieved, when in actual fact I was in a really bad way. There are several resources that instruct you on the practicalities of doing a PhD, but very few on how to manage it emotionally. I'm seriously considering writing a book about it!

I

do it kronk!

R

I am actually newly post doc thank goodness. I have to say I suffered with depression during my research and was often reduced to tears by constant criticism and what seemed like rejection. Of course now from the other side I can see that this criticism of my work was absolutely necessary for my development. This doesn't make it any easier to deal with I know, but it is a process of learning and developing that is painful. I just hope its worth it - I'll soon find out I suppose - Good Luck and stay positive!

F

I think that would be fab kronkondile. I completely agree about the no mans land period between submission and viva. Mind you, I am still finding post viva hard going!

A

The severe anxiety and depression that I suffered during my PhD occured definitely because I had no control of my own life. Comparing myself to other students; being around (in my eyes) 'godlike' academics; not knowing if my research was good enough; whether I would be able to secure full funding, and when I did get it, worrying whether I was 'worthy' of it which led to an abnormal fear of failure,prevented me from doing any work. On top of that, the reaction of family members or even strangers to the word 'phd' and 'doctor', meant that the burden was unbearable.

A

To me, phd and depression go hand and hand because of the status a phd brings- it is the ultimate prize, and to see the prize slipping away inevitably leads to insecurity. My own personal case was such that all my life I have been the 'geek who studies nonstop', I could not really fit in socially anywhere so i sought comfort in academic things. I may be wrong, but depression may occur because our identities are so strongly shaped by academia- when it is under threat we fear the worst.