Is it becoming more normal for students to take amphetamines to get them through?

I

Just found out that a few PhD students I know take amphetamines for when they need to write up - now these students have not been diagnosed with ADD and thus they obtain their supplies without a prescription (i.e. through friends/via the internet). One of these students is particularly competitive and likes to point out that I essentially don't process things fast enough for her (I need time to think things over, which some people perceive to be a sign of being a bit dim). Now that I've found out she takes drugs to push herself hard, the way she treats me is particularly hard to swallow and I'm feeling very irritated. Can anyone advise me on how to handle this situation because I'm at risk of exploding if she comes near me again and tells me that she can correct my work for me etc.

I'd say its not 'normal' I don't know anyone who does it (although maybe I'm abnormal :p )

I do know lots of women who take amphetimines for weight loss though - I could never do that because I'd probably just eat more to compensate lol.

Anyway, I'd just taker her annoying overbearing comments to be an indication of lack of self-esteem on her part. Safe in that knowledge you should be able to navigate your interactions with her with ease :-) (up)

S

I too don't think it's normal but I've known plenty of people who have used amphetamines to give them energy for one reason or another.

Like Sneaks mentioned there's weight loss but also some manual labours use amphetamines or other stimulants like cocaine to keep them going. Maybe she is faster (or at least she thinks she is) and full of energy now but the reality is that, when not under the influence, it's likely she'll 'come down' and feel rotten so she'll use again to cope with that. Also, regular use increases tolerance to the drug and she'll be needing more and more of it to get the same result as time passed by (I'm tempted to say it's pretty impossible to use regularly - i.e. daily/most days - for a substantial period of time and not fall into that trap) so I definitely do not recommend to anyone on a PhD.

Unfortunately amphetamines can also lead to people feeling super confident when under the influence which doesn't help you. Many people who use drugs do so because deep down inside they feel insecure or as coping strategies for other things as well. Obviously, I'm speculating here but I wonder if you could just let her be in the knowing that she can be having some difficulties at the moment and dealing with them as she sees best fit? Or maybe you could have a quiet word alone and thank her for her interest on your work but you'd prefer she minded her own business (maybe not using these exact words ;-) though)?? Good luck

K

Hey! I have heard of people doing this but I do not personally know anyone who does. I do know that quite a few academics take beta-blockers occasionally to impact on nerves/anxiety before a big presentation, and it is apparently possible to obtain these from some GPs for this reason. Personally I wouldn't take anything stronger than a good dose of caffeine to get me through, and I know even that is too much for some people! Taking time to think things over in terms of your work is nothing to worry about- everyone works differently and that is fine. Better to be careful than plunge in and make a mess of it! Leave your amphetamine-loving student to it- they'll only do her harm in the long run anyway, I very much doubt that this is a long term solution for anything! Best, KB

I'm currently drinking cherry tango - does that count?? :$

I didn't know you could get beta blockers - that would have been super useful for my presentation yesterday lol. I don't know what they are, they sound like an 80s dance move like the 'running man'. as in "hey, come over and show me your best beta block moves"

A

point me in their direction, pleeeeeease(mince)

P

======= Date Modified 06 Sep 2011 17:57:18 =======
ARe you sure she takes these/ If she does, it is her business though. I never heard of these.

Perhaps offering help is not beiong competitive. I have used colleagues and friends like a lot for my own work and I regularly offer my time to anyone who might need it. My chapters have been read and critiqued and I have sought this myself, and others have offen offered. I too offered my time to someone today who seemed down a bit. The fact that I defended yesterday I hope does not make it look like I am poking them and doing some weird competitive thing.

Please step back and try to think if there is the remotest chance you are misreading her?

Edit to Add - seemingly competitive people, who do things fast and on time are often the targets of great resentment, but sometimes they have their own burdens, thats just the way they are built, and they too need some slack cut to them.

I

======= Date Modified 06 Sep 2011 21:32:06 =======
======= Date Modified 06 Sep 2011 21:29:51 =======
Ah, but interestingly she doesn't do things on time. She constantly leaves things until the last minute, which is actually why she took the amphetamines...

Edit: Sorry, I should add this is what my issue is - Here is a person who leaves things until the last minute but gives the impression that everything must be performed very quickly as she is so very competitive. I do not mind people critiquing my work, however she often points out missing commas etc and I get the impression that she is trying to gauge her competition rather than provide any meaningful commentary.

P

I am also known to do things quickly, as regrettably I have always been that way :( and whenever I hear these things i feel everything from guilty to apologetic to even throughly ashamed of myself.

But that's just me.

D

Her problem isn't with you, it's with herself. Most likely she feels insecure, unsure of herself and so needs to project a certain image. I can understand it would be annoying but try not to take it personally.

D

Quote From phdbug:

I am also known to do things quickly, as regrettably I have always been that way :( and whenever I hear these things i feel everything from guilty to apologetic to even throughly ashamed of myself.

But that's just me.

You shouldn't feel guilty, apologetic or ashamed of yourself as you have to work in a way that suits you and it does seem to work for you which is all that matters (up)

I

Quote From phdbug:

But that's just me.

There's no shame in being fast, it's an absolute advantage in terms of productivity, however if a person who is very quick doesn't attempt to adjust slightly in their interactions with others who need a bit of space and time to think, it can be very frustrating and stressful and lead to some resentment. This is exacerbated further in academic circles where individuals refuse to slow down in order to focus on any details missed. Some people seem too proud to admit they don't know or have missed something and it's irritating to prefer speed over and above reflection and detail!

P

Quote From delta:

Her problem isn't with you, it's with herself. Most likely she feels insecure, unsure of herself and so needs to project a certain image. I can understand it would be annoying but try not to take it personally.

I havent met this person so I dont know if these externalities stem from insecurities etc. I just know that people are often misunderstood. I have had moments where a sudden new concept has hit me, and my excitmeent about the idea means I have rushed up to a friend who is a sounding board to sound them out, but that has been taken to be showing off, but I was truly just excited. There are countless others. I am crap at other things - relationships for instance lol! And so much else. All I am saying is - people who apparently do things quick have their own burdens - this entire discussions being one of them. Or perhaps this woman is genuinely a bad one.

W

During my time in the PhD trenches, I don't recall anyone ever taking amphetamines - at least not to help them with PhD study! I must admit that there are increasing reports of students doing this in the media though.

I think there's two tactics that you can use to deal with this:

1) Buy a rubik's cube and sudoku puzzle book. When she approaches you, hold said items up in the air (so she can see them) and chuck them into the closest bush or bramble. Watch her chase after them, like some hyper-attuned, IBM-powered puzzle solving supercomputer with legs. I reckon that should shut her up for a few weeks.

2) Ask her if she's ever heard the tale of the tortoise and the hare? Inform her that this could end up being an adult re-interpretation of an old classic because one of the side affects of drugs like Ritalin is stimulant-induced psychosis. It's no good producing a thesis in 6 days if you then go on to worship and set it on fire, like some twisted version of the Wickerman.

You have my sympathies! :-)(up)

C

Surely, the stimulant powers of any amphetamine are no match for tea and cake?

If those two both became illicit substances i'd have been F***ed

What a joke, if you need drugs (aside from the above mentioned tea and cake) to finish a PhD chances are you were simply not clever enough in the first place.