Is it normal?

E

When you have a PhD place and are part way through it, to look at other studentships on offer and think "ooh, that looks interesting!"?

I still get emails from FindAPhD.com with new positions listed and sometimes glance at them.

I suppose I do the same thing when I see Postdoc or more senior positions advertised, then I remember that I have to knuckle down and get my own degree first.

I like to think that doing this is indicative of my broad interests, not that I am currently in the wrong place. I just wondered if anyone else does this?

A

Oo, I hope it's normal! I do this all the time with NHS jobs that I want.

S

I do this all the time! There's always jobs and other PhD studentships that I find and think, ooh they look good, and what if................???!!!!
Suppose it's just curiosity, although I'm glad I'm not the only one that does it!!!!

S

i do this a lot too. I've always thought that others probably look at my PhD project in the same way and think 'i wish i was doing that' grass is always greener...

C

Yep I sometimes go on the advertising sites and look at other PhDs and think wow that sounds so much better than what I'm doing! I also listen to (some) other people's PhD and think they sound more interesting.

Perhaps a more telling question, is whether you'd still do your PhD knowing what you know now? I don't think I would (though that doesn't mean I'm gonna quit or not put my effort in, more I'll look towards a slightly differnt field afterwards)

B

I think it's definitely normal. What you have to remember is that your research probably looks fascinating to others on the *polished* surface. I'm sure when you present your work, you have a way of focusing on the most interesting and intellectual details, while glossing over the boring details. I think when we look at other topics, we forget that they're not all they seem. As my old boss used to say: "the devil is in the details".

C

Oh yeah I have seen several PhDs that have looked fab and wished that I could have done them!  Then I ask myself the question of why weren't they available when I was looking for one! It's sod's law!  I have subsequently met the people doing them and told them what excellent projects they are doing! The grass is always greener on the other side or so I tell myself!!!

B

Of course it is completely natural. Just goes to show that you do not want for complacency but for a change of pace and that is good. Until you find what it is you REALLY want to do in your field it's always good to shop around and see what else is out there.