Is it OK to leave out "work experience" from CV if all my jobs were unrelated?

S

Hello everyone.

I studied MSc pharmacology.

Now I want to prepare my CV nicely so I can use it to apply to various jobs and maybe to PhD positions.

The thing is that I have no related work experience. I worked a lot in my life, but only in completely unrelated -to pharmacology- jobs. So I don't want to mention these jobs (for example I don't want to say that I used to paint houses). So my question is, would it seem even worse to show no "work experience" at all on my CV?

C

Hello Serious.

Its always tricky when you want to change careers but i would list a few jobs that you have done.. not making too much of it..  but then move swiftly onto the skills you gained that are relevant.. for example, painting houses - team work, conscientiousness, attention to detail,  business acumen (assuming you made a profit) .. there will be valuable skills from all you've done.. you can also add any voluntary work or clubs or societies you're a member of, if relevant. 

In most workplaces showing you can get on with people is everything.

If you've time before you're planning on submitting your CV you could volunteer for something now and be able to add something relevant. 

All the best. Chuff

A

I certainly wouldn't leave out work experience. I think the key phrase here is 'transferable skills' which most employers want their employees to have, and in essence if you get funding for a PhD you are an employee of that funding organisation. Google or research best practice re: CVs. You say that you painted houses - fair enough maybe not directly applicable to a PhD in pharmacology (!!) but did you have to give quotes, prepare invoices etc? Also in painting these houses no doubt you had to stick to a timeframe which is a transferable skill to any other field. I would go through whatever work experience you have and tease out the skills that went with each job. What you want your CV to demonstrate is that you have the academic credentials to study further, you have transferable skills, you are flexible, a good time keeper, are able to project manage etc. Finally you can put in a personal statement at the beginning of the CV, ie before the reader sees your work experience where you can lay out how your flexibility, motivation etc.

Good luck

A

Hi Serious.

Depends on if you are looking for PhD funding (full/partial/no) because there maybe a tough competition if you want a fully funded PhD. If you had some other source of funding maybe the Uni will not scrutinize your CV so much. So, take the suggestions that other made here and keep the relevant things on your CV or just work around a bit. Painting houses involves a lot of planning, preparation and work. So, split that into smaller tasks that you did and you would get something to wirte down.

Good luck!

AJ

S

Hi
Thanks a lot for your replies.
As you suggest, I will volunteer to projects to enrich my work experience, and I will find the relevant parts of my "unrelated" jobs and write about them (team working, organisationm etc).

Another question I have:
Could I enter in the "Work Experience" section any practical projects I had in my BSc and MSc courses?
For example my final year MSc project, which was lab-related after all?

A

Hello...what I would do it do a section on research experience...and do the projects from masters and degree there. I would put the research experience section before the work experience section...just because it would be more relevant to such an application

S

Quote From ailicec:

Hello...what I would do it do a section on research experience...and do the projects from masters and degree there. I would put the research experience section before the work experience section...just because it would be more relevant to such an application

Thanks, very good idea :)