Is my topic for the research proposal good?

M

Hiiii
I am new to this forum. I have my PhD entrance exam next month.If I clear that I will be called in with my research proposal and this is what I have thought about.

AN ANALYTICAL STUDY OF YOUTUBE ADVERTISING IN INDIA AND ITS IMPACT ON CONSUMER BEHAVIOUR.

I think I will add all the chronicles of YouTube advertising and how Indians fell about it. like through an online questionnaire in my thesis.
I feel I have enough content to write my proposal but I have no one to guide me so I just don't know if this is a good enough topic.
anyone can plzz provide a feedback of what they think about this. or should I reconsider my topic??

any kind of help will be appreciated. thanks :)

A

Hi,

I'll be critical since this is what we do in academia.

1) "Analytical" - what does this mean? It's not really a clear basis for a method. It's too broad and generic, and sounds like an attempt to force across 'it will be rigorous science' without knowing what the rigorous science will actually entail.

2) You name a company specifically. How will you access this company? Will they willingly participate in the research? If you're just going to scrape certain bits of Youtube ad content but not have the full picture of the entirety of youtube advertising in India, how will you ensure your work is representative? This sounds like it would be a good topic if Youtube are onboard (or funding it), but a risky one if not. You won't have capacity to singlehandedly identify and collate every Youtube ad accessible in India, and should not try or claim you can (or base the proposal on the assumption you can) unless there's a link to the company that will provide that capacity.

3) Consumer behaviour is an easy thing to mention but a hard thing to measure. How will you measure this? Often a good research topic / question is firm on both sides - what will be measured (returning to 1, above), and *how* it will be measured.

As a proposal that will need revision over the course of the PhD to address the above points, it's not inherently flawed as far as I can see, but the further you can address these things above, the more likely it is to succeed as a competitive application.

M

Thank you so much for taking the time out for such a detailed review. Its quite insightful.
When I started writing the proposal I think I realised some of the points you mentioned.
I than changed the research question to this:
“Does YouTube advertising have an impact on the buying behaviour of Indian Youtube viewers?”
I plan to get answers through an online questionnaire and than tabulate that information on the basis of demographic characteristics like age , education, gender etc
Further if possible and feasible I plan on preparing a questionnaire for few Indian YouTube creators asking them regarding the factors they consider before putting an ad on their channel (along with the monetary returns)
I really don’t know much about research problems, topics and all. I have no one to guide me though :(
But I thought this would be good topic since India has the highest number of youtube viewers and creators. Also YouTube advertising is becoming quite a THING lately.
And trust me when I say this Indians are quite into YouTube as well..!
I would really appreciate if you would provide a reply to this as well at your convenience.
Thankyou once again:)

J

Hii my name is Jeffery Williams. Thank you for taking the time, And to ask us for feedback. A well-written proposal concisely details each step of the sales cycle and briefly explains how a specific product or service will solve an identified need. Your proposal should remind prospective clients of their pains and why they began seeking a solution initially.

M

Hello Jeffery,
Thankyou so much for your reply. Someone taking the time out to answer your question really means a lot. :))

M

Quote From MFP:
Thank you so much for taking the time out for such a detailed review. Its quite insightful.
When I started writing the proposal I think I realised some of the points you mentioned.
I than changed the research question to this:
“Does YouTube advertising have an impact on the buying behaviour of Indian Youtube viewers?”
I plan to get answers through an online questionnaire and than tabulate that information on the basis of demographic characteristics like age , education, gender etc
Further if possible and feasible I plan on preparing a questionnaire for few Indian YouTube creators asking them regarding the factors they consider before putting an ad on their channel (along with the monetary returns)
I really don’t know much about research problems, topics and all. I have no one to guide me though :(
But I thought this would be good topic since India has the highest number of youtube viewers and creators. Also YouTube advertising is becoming quite a THING lately.
And trust me when I say this Indians are quite into YouTube as well..!
I would really appreciate if you would provide a reply to this as well at your convenience.
Thankyou once again:)

Thank you for the info. I will surely keep those thing in my mind :)

V

Thanks for the information. Those are definitely things I'll keep in mind.