Is not answering the email stupid...?

B

I just got back to uni today, and have basically done nothing over the holidays. I have tonnes to do as it is, and my supervisor has emailed me wanting to meet up and has more things for me to do. As I haven't even made a dent in the stuff she wanted me to read from last time, I'm tempted to just ignore the email until I can catch up a bit - is this really dumb?

J

i have to admit. i've done that once or twice ;)

M

Unless your supervisor receives a delivery notice when you read the email, jsut pretend there's a server error, computer failure, RSI from too much typing, etc.

H

You could reply to the email and say you're ill, use that time to catch up and then she can't accuse you of ignoring her!

A

Sorry if this sounds harsh but you wouldn't like it if your supervisor ignored your e-mail. I totally understand being underpressure but it's not very professional to ignore a request to meet from someone who is essentially your boss. I would advise that you arrange to meet your supervisor so that you can explain any difficulties/time pressures and perhaps get some very useful advice. Good luck

D

I think the best thing to do is the pretend your sick and give yourself a couple of days to catch up. Or cant you set a date to meet up in about a week, when you'll have done some work?