Is there anyone out there who is in a PhD without a First or 2.1??

S

Ok so I need some feedback here. I know to do a PhD supervisors look for the best of the best, but what about us mere normal ones?? do we ever get a chance??

Is there anyone out there who is in a PhD without a First or 2.1??

J

As far as i'm aware and from responses to many questions by members of this forum there are loads of people doing PhDs who don't have a 1st or 2.1! In general though it seems that in order to do this a good Masters grade is necessary, this seems particularly true in terms of securing research council funding where at least a 2.1 is required.

Research councils seem to state that a masters is equivalent to increasing your undergraduate grade by 1 classification (2.2 to 2.1 for example).

Hope this is right!

Regards,
Jon

S

Well i have a 2.2 and a Masters which at my uni level was a pass. They didn't offer any merits. Apparently all that was scrapped. anyway thank you for the feedback!!

more is appreciated!!! anyone with a 2.2 and masters doing a phd here??

P

Yes-me!!!

I have a 2.2 psychology degree, I have 2 psychology MScs and am currently about to finish my first year as a PhD student at a UK university. My PhD is also a CASE ESRC studentship :)

P

To get my funded PhD place though, I REALLY had to fight for it as it was an advertised PhD studentship. I got there by;

1)Really researching the background of the project
2)Talked at great detail about how my experience will be of some benefit to the post
3)Talked about my publications (were slightly relevant to PhD)
4) Talked about my academic merits at MSc level (ie distinctions in relevant module material. By the way, I haven't got distinctions in either of my MScs, but I did average in the high 60s
5) Got a good reference from UCL (where i did my 2nd MSc)
6) Showed by enthuasism for the PhD by grilling them (the interviewers-now my supervisors) about the PhD and relevant PhD type questions, ie supervision, networking for PhDs etc. etc.

S

thank you pineapple that really helps

H

Me!

2.2 + masters (pure science).

As its said above, a masters can help but also gaining work experience is also useful.

B

It should never be impossible to find a PhD I would have thought, because even if the open competitions at the research councils are too competitive there are advertised PhDs which are only as competitive as the amount of candidates who apply for them. If you can find the right one for you and make a good impression at an interview then you can still be in good shape regardless of your degree classification.

S

Thanks guys for the information. I am still looking for a phd i applied to about 15 so far and I am not having any positive feedback at all.

so I am thinking of getting some lab based work experience. I already have some but perhaps it is insufficient.

S

Hi!,

I have a BSc Maths 2:2 and an MSc.

I went for an interview and my supervisors(!) were happy with my qualifications.

I went to the interview with a few ideas about how I could do my project and generally tried to appear confident I was accepted a few months ago and have been up a couple of times to chat with them and I start next week!.

S

are any of you in london institutes? I have been applying to London institutes mainly. I am thinking this is why I am finding it so difficult to find a place. Its probably more popular then other places. And have you ever come across lecturers who don't bother replying or saying sorry no can do? I think out 100% applications 80% don't even bother responding. :(

B

yup. 2:2 + masters (Merit). Now at Imperial. all phds are pretty popular, location has very little to do with it. myself and those who I know elsewhere go to a certain location because of the research not cus they want tobe in London, Edinburgh etc.

A

I don't have quite the response I guess you're looking for as I got a 2.1 and I've just completed an MA. But, just having a 2.1 or a 1st class doesn't ensure that you'll be (1) accepted and (2) funded. I applied to the AHRC and did not get funding, as many excellent-graded applicants also find.

I'm starting a PhD in linguistics next week. Good look with your search and doing something that other people haven't is a good start!

G

Hi All,

How about Third Class (BSc) plus a MSc wth Distinction?

Do i still have any chance gettin into a PhD programme ?

Gary