Job applications

B

I'm in that stage now. Still got a while til I submit (Sep), but jobs are being advertised. Absolutely no post-docs though, so going for lecturer posts. I have tons of teaching and lecturing experience (pre and during phd), but first two applications rejected. I think lack of publications is the problem. It's not expected to publish during phd in my field, but I think the normal route is phd > postdoc > lecturer. But if there are no postdoc positions??

So, I'm on 2 failures out of 2, with another one waiting. What numbers you got? :-)

C

6 entered, 1 shortlisted -all failed. I expect if I stick with it, it could well be 50-100 +

B

It's good to have a target ;-)

In my field its a bit more common to go into a part time lectureship (get your foot in the door) and then onto a lectureship. I don't know anyone who has done an RA position in between, it seems you are either going to go down the research route OR the lecturing (with researchon the side). I would rather do the latter, because it offers you more security and longer tenure, BUT there is nothing for me!

I don't know when to start applying, my funding finishes in oct and I'm assuming I should leave it until later to start applying, otherwise they will want me to start too early.

In my field its a bit more common to go into a part time lectureship (get your foot in the door) and then onto a lectureship. I don't know anyone who has done an RA position in between, it seems you are either going to go down the research route OR the lecturing (with researchon the side). I would rather do the latter, because it offers you more security and longer tenure, BUT there is nothing for me!

I don't know when to start applying, my funding finishes in oct and I'm assuming I should leave it until later to start applying, otherwise they will want me to start too early.

J

I can't even remember how many exactly I've applied for but I've had 3 straight out rejections (2 post-docs, 1 lecturing), 3 interviews (2 post-docs, 1 lecturing), one offer (research - which I turned down)... waiting to hear about the other interview and found out yesterday I didn't get the other one I was interviewed for (a lectureship), but apparently I was a "very close second" (not that it matters!)

I'm mainly going for research posts, but applying for lecturing just in case I don't get any of the research ones! it's a competitive market out there... I've decided if I apply for at least one job a week (lecturing or research) eventually something I want at somewhere I like will give me a job!:-)

C

This thread prompted me to have a look what is about. There was only one suitable job and it was just a 6 month contract. This whole job seeking thing is gonna be hard (and I'm nowhere near finished) :-(

B

I'm on 5 rejections out of 5 now. 2 yesterday - bad day.

Naively, I really didn't see this coming. Looks like I'll be knocking at ESRC's door along with many many others :)

C

I made a total of 7 applications 2 industry, 4 Academia, one non science, got 0/2, 2/4 and 1/1 offers of interviews and took the first interview I got (Post-doctoral Academia, 2 and three quarter year contract) Think i got pretty lucky really.

PM me if you want advice, although i doubt theres much I can tell you that your uni careers person can't

W

Can't say I'm looking forward to applying for jobs. My PhD is based on such an obscure little area and would require such an obscure little post. Hmmm...who knows...

M

Ok I Just started with my PhD and reading this post is actually Terrifying!! I assumed the Job scene is much easier post- PhD!
I'm hoping for a research job in the industry, but then again its Three years down the line!

Back to you :) I wish you tonnes of luck! (up)

J

I'm part-time PhD so in a slightly different situation but need to move to a uni nearer my home (in part for health reasons but also 2.5 hrs a day minumum driving reduces amount of time I can work on PhD). 5 applications, 5 interviews, 1 outright rejection, others were all close seconds (2 they wanted more specific industry experience and someone who could bring in contacts for undergrad work placement; the others very close second but the limited publication record was what did it). The way most universities are going (certainly in social sciences, business etc) publications matter and even though I have no obligation to publish during PhD I would be mad not to - at moment I am focussing on trying to publish stuff out of early PhD stuff.

B

Got a job :p Turned out to be 6 outright rejections before this one.

Nice little (permanent!) lecturing job. The uni's not as prestigious as my PhD one, but the job looks great. And it's mine. Very pleased.
Now I just have to finish off this PhD and everything is good.

A

Congrats Barnaby! I've applied for 2 jobs, one outright rejection, one I'm waiting to hear. I've also got applications to send in for another 2 jobs but I don't enough experience for either of them, but having been looking for jobs for the past few months, and finding very very little, I'm applying for anything that interests me, even if not fully qualified! Cos ya never know! * grasps desperately at straws...*