Job search after PhD viva

D

Hi everyone,

I am writing to seek your advice on job hunting. I defended my doctoral thesis a few months ago and have almost finished my thesis revision. I will also submit my final thesis this week. After my viva, I started my job search. So far, I have focused all my attention on teaching and research positions that require a Ph.D. or master's degree such as lectureships, assistant professorships, and research assistant/associate positions. I have sent around 10 application letters and got two interviews. But so far, I still haven't got any offer yet. There are not many vacancies in my field at this moment. I wonder if I should start to look for jobs that require a bachelor's degree such as editors and supply teachers at middle/high schools. I don't know if this is good for my future career development because I want to develop my career in academia. I think that these jobs are totally irrelevant to what I have been doing in my field for years, while at the same time I need some money to support my life (coz I am using my savings to support my life). Should I start looking for non-academic/research jobs now? Or Should I wait for a few months to see if there are more vacancies coming up?

Could anyone give me some advice on job hunting after PhD?

Thanks a lot for your time and help.

E

Are there other opportunities outside teaching in your field? Industry, clinical work, lab, private sector corporates, consultancy?
I think working in corporates would do better than high school teaching.

D

Quote From eng77:
Are there other opportunities outside teaching in your field? Industry, clinical work, lab, private sector corporates, consultancy?
I think working in corporates would do better than high school teaching.

Thanks for your reply, eng77. I am actually in the field of English language education. It is not easy for me to find corporate positions. Except for teaching positions, i could only find jobs related to English language education such as editors. But I am afraid that companies will 'throw away' my application letters when they see I have a PhD degree.

E

Quote From dotdottung:
Thanks for your reply, eng77. I am actually in the field of English language education. It is not easy for me to find corporate positions. Except for teaching positions, i could only find jobs related to English language education such as editors. But I am afraid that companies will 'throw away' my application letters when they see I have a PhD degree.

Having a PhD does not look overqualified now as used to be earlier. I see many jobs now require Master or PhD and not a Bachelor. You can just apply without prior assumption and see what comes out.

C

I submitted around 15 applications, there were just three of those I could evidence 100% of the person spec for and I got an offer for one of those. I was interviewed for three positions before getting an offer. It is a quieter time now in respect of Postdoc positions being advertised, its a time when academics take holidays. I am not sure where you are based but I am in the UK and I wouldn't have applied for anything above a Postdoc in academia as I would not have met the requirements. I know former Ph.D. students in the US who have gone straight into faculty jobs shortly after their defence, so either a Postdoc or Assist Prof position can be an option there. 10 applications isn't that many, I think you just need to keep going, since you have had interviews you should hopefully get an academic position if you persevere. Doing something different so that you have income before securing an academic position shouldn't go against you.